Dec 14, 2011, 4:46 PM EST
When asked about Dave Bolland’s comments in which the Chicago forward called the Sedins the “sisters,” Gillis provided a thoughtful response — he compared the twins to former Rangers and Bruins star Jean Ratelle, a player that never shied away from going to the tough areas of the ice despite all the abuse he took from the opposition.
“[The Sedins] go in the corner and they get the puck and they play with the puck against the other team’s top defensemen, top lines, every night and they produce,” said Gillis.
He makes a great point.
Look, everyone knows the Sedins didn’t have a very good Stanley Cup final. They admitted as much themselves. But consider the defensemen they went up against in the playoffs – Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Shea Weber, Ryan Suter and Zdeno Chara.
Henrik finished second in playoff scoring, Daniel fourth.
And while it’s fair to criticize the twins for not producing against the Bruins, don’t forget to credit Chara and Tim Thomas. The best shutdown defenseman in the NHL. The best goalie. On a team that plays great defensive hockey. Yeah, the Sedins lost the battle. There are worse battles to lose.
As someone who’s watched the Sedins closely since they came into the league, I can say they’re among the most humble superstars in sports. They’re just…good people. They donated $1.5 million to help build a new BC Children’s Hospital. When time ran out in Game 7 of the Cup final, they immediately went over and shook hands with the referees.
“These guys are great players,” said Gills. “They’re leaders on their team. They’re leading in their community.”
As for Bolland?
“If someone wants to take a shot at them after all the accomplishments, especially the last three years, it certainly rings hollow in my ears.”
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 3
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 5
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8