Dec 14, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
When asked about Dave Bolland’s comments in which the Chicago forward called the Sedins the “sisters,” Gillis provided a thoughtful response — he compared the twins to former Rangers and Bruins star Jean Ratelle, a player that never shied away from going to the tough areas of the ice despite all the abuse he took from the opposition.
“[The Sedins] go in the corner and they get the puck and they play with the puck against the other team’s top defensemen, top lines, every night and they produce,” said Gillis.
He makes a great point.
Look, everyone knows the Sedins didn’t have a very good Stanley Cup final. They admitted as much themselves. But consider the defensemen they went up against in the playoffs – Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Shea Weber, Ryan Suter and Zdeno Chara.
Henrik finished second in playoff scoring, Daniel fourth.
And while it’s fair to criticize the twins for not producing against the Bruins, don’t forget to credit Chara and Tim Thomas. The best shutdown defenseman in the NHL. The best goalie. On a team that plays great defensive hockey. Yeah, the Sedins lost the battle. There are worse battles to lose.
As someone who’s watched the Sedins closely since they came into the league, I can say they’re among the most humble superstars in sports. They’re just…good people. They donated $1.5 million to help build a new BC Children’s Hospital. When time ran out in Game 7 of the Cup final, they immediately went over and shook hands with the referees.
“These guys are great players,” said Gills. “They’re leaders on their team. They’re leading in their community.”
As for Bolland?
“If someone wants to take a shot at them after all the accomplishments, especially the last three years, it certainly rings hollow in my ears.”
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 0
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)