Dec 14, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
When asked about Dave Bolland’s comments in which the Chicago forward called the Sedins the “sisters,” Gillis provided a thoughtful response — he compared the twins to former Rangers and Bruins star Jean Ratelle, a player that never shied away from going to the tough areas of the ice despite all the abuse he took from the opposition.
“[The Sedins] go in the corner and they get the puck and they play with the puck against the other team’s top defensemen, top lines, every night and they produce,” said Gillis.
He makes a great point.
Look, everyone knows the Sedins didn’t have a very good Stanley Cup final. They admitted as much themselves. But consider the defensemen they went up against in the playoffs – Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Shea Weber, Ryan Suter and Zdeno Chara.
Henrik finished second in playoff scoring, Daniel fourth.
And while it’s fair to criticize the twins for not producing against the Bruins, don’t forget to credit Chara and Tim Thomas. The best shutdown defenseman in the NHL. The best goalie. On a team that plays great defensive hockey. Yeah, the Sedins lost the battle. There are worse battles to lose.
As someone who’s watched the Sedins closely since they came into the league, I can say they’re among the most humble superstars in sports. They’re just…good people. They donated $1.5 million to help build a new BC Children’s Hospital. When time ran out in Game 7 of the Cup final, they immediately went over and shook hands with the referees.
“These guys are great players,” said Gills. “They’re leaders on their team. They’re leading in their community.”
As for Bolland?
“If someone wants to take a shot at them after all the accomplishments, especially the last three years, it certainly rings hollow in my ears.”
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 6
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)