Dec 14, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
When asked about Dave Bolland’s comments in which the Chicago forward called the Sedins the “sisters,” Gillis provided a thoughtful response — he compared the twins to former Rangers and Bruins star Jean Ratelle, a player that never shied away from going to the tough areas of the ice despite all the abuse he took from the opposition.
“[The Sedins] go in the corner and they get the puck and they play with the puck against the other team’s top defensemen, top lines, every night and they produce,” said Gillis.
He makes a great point.
Look, everyone knows the Sedins didn’t have a very good Stanley Cup final. They admitted as much themselves. But consider the defensemen they went up against in the playoffs – Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Shea Weber, Ryan Suter and Zdeno Chara.
Henrik finished second in playoff scoring, Daniel fourth.
And while it’s fair to criticize the twins for not producing against the Bruins, don’t forget to credit Chara and Tim Thomas. The best shutdown defenseman in the NHL. The best goalie. On a team that plays great defensive hockey. Yeah, the Sedins lost the battle. There are worse battles to lose.
As someone who’s watched the Sedins closely since they came into the league, I can say they’re among the most humble superstars in sports. They’re just…good people. They donated $1.5 million to help build a new BC Children’s Hospital. When time ran out in Game 7 of the Cup final, they immediately went over and shook hands with the referees.
“These guys are great players,” said Gills. “They’re leaders on their team. They’re leading in their community.”
As for Bolland?
“If someone wants to take a shot at them after all the accomplishments, especially the last three years, it certainly rings hollow in my ears.”
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 9
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)