Dave Bolland calls Sedin twins “sisters” and rips Vancouver a new one

Dec 14, 2011, 8:15 AM EDT

Daniel Sedin, Dave Bolland Getty Images

Chicago’s Dave Bolland already wasn’t all that liked in Vancouver, but now he’ll be public enemy No. 1 in the minds of fans and players alike.

Bolland was recently on WGN radio in Chicago (audio link) when the topic of the Blackhawks’ newest rivals, the Canucks, came up and Bolland let his feelings on Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, and the city of Vancouver fly.

The Vancouver Sun highlighted the most incendiary parts of Bolland’s talk about Vancouver’s super twins and these are probably insults you’ve heard before.

Talk show host Dave Kaplan referred to the Sedin twins as “sisters” and Bolland went along with that description referring to Henrik and Daniel as “sisters” a few times. If you were wondering what Bolland would do if the Sedins ever became Blackhawks, Bolland said that that would never happen and… Well, this:

“And, yeah, they probably still would be sisters. I think they might sleep in, like, bunk beds. The older one has the bottom one, the younger one’s got the top.”

That’s not awkward at all.

Bolland also ripped the city of Vancouver saying he doesn’t venture far from his hotel when in Vancouver because “there are a lot of weirdos there. You don’t want to be out too long.”

If he had just said he didn’t leave his hotel out of fear of being pepper sprayed or thrown through a store front window, we might understand his feelings better.

For what it’s worth, the Blackhawks next game in Vancouver is January 31.

1. datguy83 - Dec 14, 2011 at 8:28 AM

I love Dave Bolland.

• suksandhu - Dec 14, 2011 at 3:49 PM

LOL good one bolland, the only reason you dont like the most beautiful city in the world (fact not opinion) is because in this country we force people like you and carcillo on to places called “reserves”. You look like the symbol on your sweater you dumb chug. Very good idea to stay close to your team hotel in Vancouver cause our police might pick you up and drop you off at the nearest teepee.

• jovocop1989 - Dec 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Buddy, your insensitive, inaccurate and asinine comment is doing no one in Vancouver any favors. Grow up.

• scotch679 - Dec 16, 2011 at 9:07 AM

It’s the most beautiful city in the world so lets torch . lol

• t16rich - Dec 20, 2011 at 12:43 PM

With a name like sandhu I can only assume your east indian. Since your going to make fun of reserves why dont you take a look at the shit hole your people inhabit. Surrey is no better then the reserves and those indians are no better then true indians.. Were all humans and how racee got dragged into this is beyond me. But its obvious you’re a racist piece of shit that is giving people more ammo to use when referring to our city as awful.

• suksandhu - Dec 14, 2011 at 6:14 PM

My comment matches the content of the article, Vancouver does enough favors for themselves, they don’t need my help.

• ven9898 - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:03 PM

What the hell is a chug? What are reserves? You make zero sense. Thanks for coming out. Also if you’re going to reference fact, let’s see something that backs it up. You morons riot over a fail hockey team, how is that beautiful?

2. rwmilli - Dec 14, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Somebodys jealous we have the leagues only two back to back 100 point scorers….last I checked you don’t need to play very physical when you own the league…thanks for coming out bolland, you live in Chicago…it’s a terrible city.

• rogersjd16 - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Yea I’m pretty sure they’ll take the Stanley Cup year before last over the points…And “it’s a terrible city” is one of the most laughably asinine statements ever made. I’m from Boston, and have been to Vancouver a few times. Personally, I think it’s a great city (sans the rioting). But calling out one of the planet’s greatest cities in Chicago just because of some meaningless interview reaks of the same jealousy you try to claim.

• comeonnowguys - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:46 AM

“Terrible?” Wow, I hope you live in Vancouver because that would make it the funniest thing I’ve heard all week.

And last time I checked, the Sedins themselves haven’t exactly done much against the Blackhawks in the playoffs. The reason? Dave Bolland’s third line.

But when your 100-point scorers disappear in the playoffs, I guess the only thing you can hang your hat on is the regular season.

Jealous? LMAO.

• drewsylvania - Dec 14, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Yeah, they must have thought “Man, we own this league,” when they were getting pwned by a physical team that actually had heart.

• pete387 - Dec 14, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Own the league? You mean the AHL? You don’t even own the Northwest division right now.

And I’d rather have some physicality on my team than none at all when my star player is being used as a speed bag by the smallest player on the Bruins.

• raykar - Dec 14, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I was once told to go visit Vancouver, the city’s a riot.

• kejes - Dec 14, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Great that the “sisters” own the league – but do they own a Stanley Cup Ring??? I think not. Go Dave Bolland! He only said what we all know put up or shut up. Bolland and the Chicago Blackhawks have a Stanley Cup Championship – what do the sisters have to show for their 100 point seasons??? HA – Chicago the Best City in the World!

3. govtminion - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Well, that should make things more interesting in that rivalry… wow.

4. jfive84 - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:24 AM

There are a lot of weirdos there. You don’t want to be out too long.

5. hodog16 - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Way to be original. Hate the Blackhawks but love the rivalry. Hope to see them again in the playoffs.

6. tessaxx3 - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Sisters is appropriate for the twins. I mean who stands there ad take repeated punched from
    Marchand in the playoffs? And Chicago is beautiful and I’m from Boston. Vancouver is nice too but it’s not as nice as Chicago. If u want weirdos, visit Philly.

• haterzgonahate - Dec 14, 2011 at 5:04 PM

somebody who adheres to the rules and regulations of the NHL with the hopes of drawing a penalty and giving his team which held the #1 powerplay in the league the chance to score on the power play? how’s that for your answer?

its just too bad the rules preached by the league are thrown out the window come playoff time but no biggie. we’ll see how they do this year now that they know anything goes in the Stanley cup final

7. bostonhasrealhockey - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:20 AM

What has the back to back scoring stats done for youre team mr jealousy

8. jovocop1989 - Dec 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Chicago and Vancouver are beautiful cities and ripping on either is a rather pointless endeavor.

As for the sisters bit, though? Well that’s a tired accusation that lacks all sorts of originality. But it also means Mr. Bolland has been outscored by a couple of girls for his entire NHL career.

• comeonnowguys - Dec 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Oh right. We’re back to valuing the regular season over the playoffs. Carry on.

• jovocop1989 - Dec 14, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Last three postseasons; Bolland has 34 points in 43 playoff games. Daniel has 44 points in 47 games. Henrik with 46. Carry on.

• comeonnowguys - Dec 14, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Here are your 100-point scorers in the three playoff series vs. the Hawks.

Henrik: 0.84 pts/game
        Daniel: 0.68 pts/game

Bolland: 0.53 pts/ game.

How embarrassing for Bolland. Oh wait, that’s right: He’s a third line center whose main charge is to shut down the other team’s top line.

And since we’re throwing out numbers, how about Stanley Cups:

Bolland: 1.
        Henrik and Daniel combined: 0.

• granpeter - Dec 15, 2011 at 10:25 AM

The term Sedin Sisters has been used in Chicago for a few years now. That is nothing new. It is interesting now that it was in print that there is discussion about it. I think we all fear this reality: not only are they twins, which is odd, and identical twins, which is scary, but they are ginger identical twins, which is positively freakish! And sorry, but Dave Bolland is a recent Stanley Cup winner so yes, he does have the right to rip on any team other than maybe Boston. Sorry, that’s the way it goes.

• scotch679 - Dec 16, 2011 at 9:17 AM

out pussied too!

9. bigtganks - Dec 14, 2011 at 11:26 AM

*yawn*

10. haterzgonahate - Dec 14, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Sedins > Dave Bolland

he should be thanking the Sedins because he was a nobody before this rivalry. pretty mature comments for a professional athlete i might add.

the personal attacks are getting old. everybody knows Vancouver is consistently voted as one of the top 5 places to live IN THE WORLD so your comments are falling on deaf ears Bolland. he’s probably just pissed because the bouncers didn’t let him in to Brandy’s one night.

i’m losing respect for some of the Hawks and Bruins.. you both won cups in the last couple years yet there you are.. chirping away with personal attacks on some of the leagues best players and a beautiful city. grow up FFS!

11. ruddigervancity - Dec 14, 2011 at 12:06 PM

I’m just waiting for Brough or Halford to wake up, log on, and post the in-limousine pictures of Bolland’s teammates with some of Vancouver’s “weirdos”. Might want to try keeping your shirts on fellas if you want to attract someone a little hotter…

• granpeter - Dec 15, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Maybe it is just the way hockey players from other cities might not feel so welcome in Vancouver. I can’t imagine why that would be.
      Oh wait: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43420732/ns/sports-nhl/

12. mydadyourmom - Dec 14, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Bolland? Who cares?

13. t16rich - Dec 14, 2011 at 12:48 PM

He’s just mad cause he paid for the itch on East Hastings. They arnt weirdos Dave, they are hookers.

• comeonnowguys - Dec 14, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Aw come on, who thumbed that down?

14. davebabychreturns - Dec 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Breaking news – man with high school education and small town background attempts to insult other men by calling them women!

15. whatswellydoing - Dec 14, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Bolland is a tit. We hate the hawks as much as they hate us, but how many Vancouver players do you see going on a talk show and ripping Chicago or their players? Not exactly a classy move.

• comeonnowguys - Dec 14, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I guess the whole Kesler/Brouwer thing was in my head after all. Damn voices.

16. capcity65 - Dec 14, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Poor Dave. Went to The Roxy and all he got for his troubles was a pair of blue-balls. Now he’s bitter and jealous. However, homophobes who lash out and call other ‘virile males’ effeminate names tend to be hiding some issues in their personal closets. Instead of spouting tired insults on Windy Wendy trash radio, Dave, I think you need some serious couch time. Especially when you won’t leave your hotel room in one of the most beautiful cities on Earth. Getting some down-low time in while here in VanCity, perhaps? Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

17. F4S Leigh - Dec 14, 2011 at 2:24 PM

First – Vancouver is a great city. However, so is Chicago. And while I’ve never been, I’ve never heard anything but good things about Boston, even though I hate their hockey and baseball teams. It’s very schoolyard to insult each others’ cities – come on, grow up.

Second – I used to not believe in the twins, in fact, I myself referred to them as sisters for many years. However, then they a) started being consistently dangerous night in night out, and b) starting winning Art Ross and Hart trophies. Their results speak for themselves. I’m a believer. No, they aren’t the “toughest” players – nor were Gretzky, Lemeiux, Yzerman, Dionne, Bossy, Sakic, etc. And to clarify – I’m not putting them in the same league as those greats – just saying, they are the same “type” of player.

Third – Bolland coming out and saying this stuff… like some of the commenters here, I agree, this is so over-done and passe it’s ridiculous. A few years ago, Boogaard called them “Pinky and the Brain” twins – it’s so completely unoriginal, it’s not even worthy of comment – doesn’t even bother me, as I’m sure it doesn’t bother the players. However, it is pretty classless. Isn’t it ironic that it’s the Canucks who are consistently charged with being cocky, arrogant, classless players?

However, national media will buy in and this stereotype will perpetuate. Oh well… we’ll see how the games shake out.

I agree – *yawn*

18. pastabelly - Dec 14, 2011 at 2:31 PM

It’s not a big secret that players on other NHL teams don’t like the Canucks. Mark Recchi pretty much went through the laundry list a few weeks back. So there is something there. As far as cities go, I don’t think anyone hates Vancouver.

• haterzgonahate - Dec 14, 2011 at 2:39 PM

its no secret that the best teams in any sport get hated on.. its the “circle of life” Simba!

19. barkar942 - Dec 14, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Let’s see- the cities of Vancouver, Boston, Chicago and even Philly get ripped in these comments, and not one New York City hater. This could be a first!

• haterzgonahate - Dec 14, 2011 at 3:25 PM

New York!.. now there’s a sh*thole!

lol.. didn’t want you to be disappointed..

• comeonnowguys - Dec 14, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Yeah, New Toronto sucks.

…ouch. I think I blew a hammy stretching for that one.

20. taytay099 - Dec 14, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I’m going to miss this rivalry when the NHL realignment happens.

21. ynotflyers - Dec 14, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Hey you guys, thanks for the laughs ….all of you. But you know what really su**s, I spent half my life in Philly, then some time outside of Boston from there I want to New York for 20 years, then work took me to Chicago for a short stay….ALL are Great Cities to live and for their Hockey !!! Now work has me ….west…and all I have are well Dallas,S.J. the Ave’s….I’ve kind of taken a small liking to the kings….Please stop the fight’in enjoy the head to head hate on the Ice….East coast Hockey rules so the twins don’t rough it up…their a handful to defend…it’s that west coast thing. You really do have to admit Vancouver is a neat town….and I’ve been around most of the best Fan Base Towns in the league. Also they do a Kick A** Party in Mont. and Det. if you ever get the chance..T.C.

22. blomfeld - Dec 16, 2011 at 3:04 AM

Just a few tidbits of fact from Vancouver …

The above comments equate to “good times” no doubt, but allow me as a 52 year
    old “life-long” Vancouver resident, to invoke some “fact” into the discussion here:

1) Vancouver is a beautiful city thanks entirely to Mother Nature … not the people

2) The Sedins (ie: AKA “The Sisters”) are married to identical look-a-like sisters

3) The Canuck owner “Aquilini Investment Group” were notorious slumlords

4 Vancouver has the highest “violent” crime rate in all of Canada

5) Roberto Luongo is a confirmed gambling addict in serious financial arrears

6) 42% of all “straight” Vancouver-area men speak with an effeminate lisp

7) Vancouver suburb “Surrey” was repeatedly the car-jacking capital of North America

8) Vancouver Port is the #1 gateway “conduit” for illicit drugs into the Americas

Top 10 NHL Player Searches