Dec 12, 2011, 12:59 PM EDT
While the news wasn’t awful, it wasn’t overly optimistic — with the big development being there’s no fixed date for his return to action.
On his status: “Not [feeling] bad. I’m not happy about watching. But I have to make sure with these sort of things that I’m careful and making sure I’m 100 percent before coming back. No timetable [for a return].”
On how he’s feeling: “I did my ImPACT test [concussion exam] and it went pretty good. That was a good sign. It’s much different than previously going through that stuff. That was encouraging. I skated following day after with exertion. I just didn’t feel right. After talking with everyone I figured it was better to be cautious and not take any chances. That’s where I’m at right now.
“The ImPACT isn’t everything. You have to listen to your body on these things too. That was encouraging. My ImPACT was much, much worse after I did it in January. This is something I have to be careful with.
Is he experiencing symptoms? “Yes. If I didn’t I would be practicing. I’ve been doing light exertion stuff and seeing how that goes. It’s that whole [recovery] routine again, but hopefully not as long. When I wasn’t doing something for six, seven months that process was a little longer. Hopefully, that’s not the case here.”
Crosby’s tone and the presser’s overall vibe conveyed a sense of frustration, captured by the Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson:
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 19
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 32
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 45
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10