Dec 4, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
The New York Islanders announced rookie forward Nino Niederreiter suffered a concussion after getting leveled by Dallas’ Mark Fistric. PHT discussed the hit last night; here’s the video for those that haven’t seen it:
Niederreiter underwent a neuro-psych exam today, after which the Isles confirmed he had a concussion. Focus will now undoubtedly turn to Fistric and NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan, featuring the usual questions: Did Fistric made initial contact with the head? Did he lead with his shoulder? Did he leave his feet on the play? Also consider that Niederreiter’s concussion is now public knowledge, which could also play into Sherrif Shanahan’s decision. (The “our guy is out, so should be the guy that put him there” argument.)
Something else to consider is Fistric’s potential “repeat offender” classification. Two seasons ago, he was fined $2,500 for punching Eric Nystrom with Nystrom’s helmet during a fight; last season, he delivered a questionable elbow to the head of Johan Franzen.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 50
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 19
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 20
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 101
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead