Dec 3, 2011, 11:14 PM EDT
Early in the Islanders’ 5-4 victory in Dallas, Mark Fistric delivered a brutal shot to the head of Nino Niederreiter that should make waves around the NHL offices tomorrow. A clearly dazed Niederreiter stumbled as he returned to his feet (aided by teammates) and headed straight to the locker room. Early reports tell us the obvious: Niederreiter is out with a concussion and will be reevaluated on Sunday.
There will be plenty of talk about Fistric’s hit from those who like to debate suspensions. From Niederreiter’s hazy nature after the hit, it certainly looked like he took a shot straight to the head. Focusing on the defenseman, it looked like Fistric left his feet to make high contact with an opposing player. That’s not a good combination for someone that would want to escape Brendan Shanahan’s wrath.
Then again, Fistric wasn’t given a penalty on the play so who knows what will happen in the supplemental discipline process.
Things aren’t going smoothly for Nino Niederreiter this season. He’s bounced between the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, New York Islanders, and the press box much more than he would have hoped this season. Now we can added the “quiet room” and possibly injured reserve to the list of locales this season.
Here’s the hit that knocked Niederreiter out of the game. Is this something that warranted a suspension? Did it warrant a penalty on the ice?
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)