Nov 24, 2011, 8:59 PM EST
For many Buffalo Sabres fans, last night’s game against the Boston Bruins failed to hit the “revenge” spot. Sure, Milan Lucic was forced to drop the mitts, but the B’s got the last laugh in what was – to many – a frustrating shootout win. The Sabres are generally known for being a team that develops pint-sized forwards (see: Nathan Gerbe, Tyler Ennis and in a previous life, Danny Briere), but they just called up a big, mean exception to the rule: Zack Kassian.
I’m not sure I agree with WGR 550’s notion that Kassian is already a household name, but there’s no question that the budding power forward has built up a notorious reputation for bending (and sometimes breaking) the rules. He’s listed at 6-foot-3 and 228 lbs. and brings a killer instinct, but also sports the offensive upside you’d expect from a guy who went 13th overall in 2009.
In other words, Kassian might be the Sabres’ answer to – you guessed it – Milan Lucic. Maybe the talent and mean streaks are different (some might argue that Lucic has more of the former while Kassian could carry a little more of the latter), but Kassian silences the argument that Buffalo has no one who can make the Lucics of the world pay for their tomfoolery.
In fact, bloodthirsty Buffloans might have been happier if he got his first cup of coffee at the NHL level a day or two sooner …
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 0
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 20
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)