Nov 24, 2011, 5:05 PM EDT
Earlier, we reported that Dallas captain Brenden Morrow — who sat out last night’s 3-2 OT win over LA — will miss the next three games with an upper-body injury suffered in Monday’s win over Edmonton.
But did we miss the part where Morrow was hurt by Ryan Nugent-Hopkins?
We sure did, according to Sportsnet’s Mark Spector:
Here’s the video evidence:
“The greatest 11-year-old ever to play in the National Hockey League.” Classic.
Couple things to consider:
– Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan confirmed Morrow got hurt in the first period against Edmonton. “In the first period he came out for a bit and then he came and finished the game,” Gulutzan said. “He’s got a little upper body issue.”
– The hit occurred on Morrow’s second shift (which ended at the 14:08 mark of the first period.) He didn’t return until there was 4:53 left in the frame and finished with just 11:49 of ice time, his lowest total of the season.
It sure does look/sound like RNH put Morrow on the shelf. Not to glorify violence (kill kill kill) or anything, but this is one of Nugent-Hopkins’ most impressive moments so far. Morrow has 30 pounds, 14 years and an immeasurable amount of grownup hair on Nugent-Hopkins. Spector also added that Morrow is “one of the strongest guys on his skates in the NHL.”
It’s not like the hit was a leverage or balance thing, either — Nugent-Hopkins “trucked” Morrow. If you’re unfamiliar with trucking, here’s Brandon Jacobs doing it to LaRon Landry. Oof.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 17
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)