Want to watch Sidney Crosby’s return? Versus has you covered

Nov 20, 2011, 5:46 PM EDT

Sidney Crosby Getty Images

Moments after learning that Sidney Crosby will make his (triumphant?) return against the New York Islanders on Monday night, I couldn’t help but feel bummed that it wouldn’t be on national TV in the United States. Well, fear not hockey fans, because Versus has you covered. With all due respect to what is likely to be a very interesting Boston Bruins-Montreal Canadiens game, Versus will instead show the Islanders-Penguins matchup at 7 pm ET.

Crosby is expected to start the game between frequent linemates Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis, but all eyes will be on the Pittsburgh Penguins superstar. Dave Strader will handle the play-by-play while Pierre McGuire plans to do his between-the-glass reporting. Stay tuned to PHT for updates regarding this story and you can get even more hyped up for the game by watching NHL Live at 6:30 pm ET on Monday.

1. bcisleman - Nov 20, 2011 at 6:04 PM

I’ll be tuning in on NHL.COM to watch the Islanders play. Its OK if Sid plays too. Might not be if NHL.COM blacks it out because of him.

2. alexb64 - Nov 20, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Good that he’s back but I’d have much rather watched Montreal & Boston in what is, you know, the league’s most storied rivalry. We’ll be seeing plenty of Crosby nationally, guaranteed. This was not necessary.

3. 8man - Nov 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I already hated the Penguins. Now I hate Crosby. They bump Habs-B’s because some guy who got a knock on the head can play again? Really?

This disrespect of the Stanley Cup Champions Bruins will not go nicely. Somewhere, Marc Savard is shaking his head…albeit very slowly…..

Fortunately I have the Center Ice package, but Versus can now s##k my d##k!

• hockeyfan1701 - Nov 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Lots of class of there 8man, lots of class……

• 8man - Nov 20, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Yes. The Little 8 Ball of Hate on full display. :)

4. beerjunkie - Nov 20, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Since you have the Center Ice package why do you care which channel the game is on? Lame reason to rant over nothing.

5. abrienza428 - Nov 20, 2011 at 6:46 PM

For anyone complaining about this, it’s about ratings/money. This game will bring significantly more ratings than Bruins-Canadiens, and I’m sure people near Boston and Montreal can still see the game. What do you expect?

• cowboys282 - Nov 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I’m not sure that the Pen’s Islanders will bring better rating then Bruins Canadians. Obviously Versus thinks so though. If this was Canada it would be obvious that everyone would rather see Crosby’s return. But this is the US. Seems to me a rivalry game would be more interesting then Crosby coming back against a horrible team.

6. 8man - Nov 20, 2011 at 7:05 PM

I expect not to be force fed the Golden Boy returning from injury against one of the league’s struggling franchises. The intense coverage of his convalescence has sickened me and I’m likewise disgusted at how the network, and possibly the league, kneels to fellate him upon his return.

Good for you that you see it as compelling viewing. I do not.

• mikevee1 - Nov 21, 2011 at 12:51 AM

You are quite an angry and arrogant guy 8man. You are why I hate Red Sox fans and most Bruin fans. If you don’t see this as a story to top a regular season game between 2 teams that will meet 6 times this year, then you are not a sports fan-period.

• 8man - Nov 21, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Thank you mikevee1. Nice of you to notice. It takes some people longer to arrive at that conclusion, but I can tell you are unusually perceptive.

The game itself should be the story. Not the “struggle” of a concussed player to return. It’s being trumpeted as some triumph over disease or personal tragedy. It’s absurd. The cat got a knock on the head and missed some time. Many would argue that others have had worse and returned sooner. It’s a clownish parade. Given the MNF matchup lacks electricity, I wouldn’t be surprised if ESPN cut away from the action occasionally to check in on how “she’s” doing.

God forbid, if she gets a point. They may stop the game so the fans, league officials and the Isles can rush the ice for a group hug.

I am having too much fun with this.

7. revansrevenant - Nov 20, 2011 at 7:23 PM

So if the game isn’t going to be on Versus, where exactly are B’s fans who don’t get NESN going able to watch this game? Just throwing that out there for my fellow B’s fans who live out west.

8. lameasish - Nov 20, 2011 at 7:24 PM

8man, it must suck to be you. All this hate for a man you have never met. I feel bad for your wife or girlfriend (if you have one…)

• 8man - Nov 20, 2011 at 8:39 PM

She’s actually meaner than I am. We are ardent supporters of our teams and have little love for other teams….or their players….and their fans…:)

So watching the Champion Bruins attempt to win their 8th straight game, playing the NHL’s most storied franchise in Montreal isn’t a better telecast?

• field207 - Nov 20, 2011 at 9:44 PM

I’m a huge fan of the B’s, so I’m pissed as well, but news flash bud — they’re goin for their 9th straight, not 8th.

• 8man - Nov 21, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Oops. My bad. In my euphoria, I’m losing count.

9. smithmike4 - Nov 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM

I can’t wait to see this game thank god I live in Boston so I can watch the bruins on local and Crosby’s return on Versus. Thank you.

10. danphipps01 - Nov 20, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Wait, the Islanders who hate the Penguins and routinely get into massive brawls with them? Those Islanders? This doesn’t seem like a good idea.

• 8man - Nov 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM

That was pretty funny.

11. nhlbruins90 - Nov 20, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I’d rather watch the Stanley Cup champs go for their 9th straight win against their arch rival and another original six team. Crosby or not, I just watched the Islanders yesterday, and I don’t think I could stomach another laugher like that one. But I guess they know what they’re doing.

One thing to consider, the Patriots are playing on Monday Night Football, so that might cut into the ratings slightly, both locally and on VS (if they carried the game). Of course, locally in Boston, we could watch the Golden Boy on VS, and then catch the B’s game at midnight on NESN. Unfortunately, there’s no way to avoid seeing the score while watching VS. It’s no fun watching a game when you know the outcome.

8man, you’re really rocking the attitude. Quite funny too. (thanks for warning us about your wife too!)

12. talkingcrow13 - Nov 20, 2011 at 11:49 PM

It’s too bad the NHL can’t be nationally broadcast on a real channel. Versus is a joke, a bad one. I don’t know a single person who has it and most haven’t even heard of it. Perhaps its because you have to get the maximum package with your satellite or cable provider to gain access to it and that means you have to purchase several hundred channels of pure crap to get it. I already pay $179 a year for Center Ice and shouldn’t be expected to shell out another $140 for a channel that airs garbage 99% of the time, save for the few games they pick up. Why they can’t allow Center Ice or Gamecenter subscribers access during the few hours we might watch it is beyond me, besides the greed part of the equation. I miss the pre-lockout days of ESPN Hockey Night. You know ESPN, an actual sports channel.

• talkingcrow13 - Nov 21, 2011 at 12:08 AM

$140 a month I mean.

13. carol6645 - Nov 21, 2011 at 1:12 AM

CROSBY is BACK! Yahoo!! Now the best team becomes the SUPER team! They are ready to go!
    Every one will see all games and CBC in Canada has a SPECIAL edition of Hockey Night in Canada on!!
    This is a CELEBRATION!! The BEST player in hockey returns just like Mario and Wayne!!

THE BEST!! STARS!!!
    (Too bad! Sooo sad if someone misses the B’s game)
    I don’t think that will NEVER happen! TRY to be a nice Boston fan!! Penguin fans are the very BEST and we are HAPPY!!!

• nhlbruins90 - Nov 21, 2011 at 1:40 AM

You definitely SOUND!!! HAPPY!!! carol!!!

14. carol6645 - Nov 21, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Bruins fans are brutal much like the players and they don’t change. Savard isn’t back but Penguin’s fans don’t bad-mouth him! If I were a Bruins fan or player I’d say who cares he’s just a piece of crap like the rest of you!!

Crosby led the Penguins to a Stanley Cup remember? The Bruins didn’t win it that year did they?? Do you really think they’ll win again?! They will be suspended for all their dirty illegal hits! Don’t even mention Matt Cooke again!
    FOCUS on Lucic and the rest of the Boston Bullies!

Really?? I’m too happy to care what comments criminal minds make.

15. carol6645 - Nov 21, 2011 at 2:25 AM

NHLBRUINS90 I am HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

That 8 ball (angry man) ruffles my feathers.

• 8man - Nov 21, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Milan Lucic, his punishing hits and his goal scoring prowess make me happy.

See you two weeks from tonight.

Ruffle, ruffle…

16. carol6645 - Nov 21, 2011 at 3:47 PM

A clash between Bruins and Penguins will be most interesting!
    Brad Marchand and Sidney Crosby live about 20 miles from one another here in Halifax.
    Marchand fits the bill for the nasty Bruins!
    Now that Crosby is playing, the Pens will be ready for the Teddy Bears!

17. 8man - Nov 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Careful, Carol, that Teddy Bear’s got claws and wicked bite!

18. 051070a - Nov 21, 2011 at 8:01 PM

pens and fans once expansion always expansion!

19. carol6645 - Nov 21, 2011 at 9:45 PM

The Penguins won! Of course! The best team in hockey!

20. carol6645 - Nov 21, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Yahoo! The best team in hockey won! Way to go Pens!!

21. carol6645 - Nov 22, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Lucic is scared to death of fighting. He knows he’s going to have his nose permanently removed one of these nites one of these crazy nites. (Eagles)

22. govtminion - Nov 22, 2011 at 9:11 AM

It never ceases to amaze me when people decide that “All Bruins fans are…”, “Penguins fans are all a bunch of…” “Canucks fans…” etc.- really?

I like to think people are better than that kind of generalizing.

23. 051070a - Nov 22, 2011 at 3:34 PM

carol6645 why don’t you type lucic on youtube and watch some of his fights?

24. carol6645 - Nov 22, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Glad you mentioned that! I watched him get hit after hit and hide behind the Official!! He was scared! Tomorrow nite he’s worried for sure! The game is ready to go between B’s and Sabres!
    Lucic IS scared! He’d be crazy for sure if he didn’t think someone tougher than him will cream him. Maybe he will be out injured for awhile! A LONG while! Trust me! He’s terrified! Watch the fight I watched.
    My mistake for not paying attention to his rival. It was his fear and hiding after big hits that gave me a little SMILE! Pure justice beginning for a ruthless player! He had to go for repairs so he was hurting. A guy like Lucic is not on my “kindness” list!

25. carol6645 - Nov 22, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Watched more Lucic fights. “Don’t impress me much!”

It’s a fact that highest number of hockey players good, bad or ugly, are Canadian! Lucic is no exception. Half of the Bruins are Canadian. Brad Marchand is another bad egg. These guys aren’t talented hockey players they are just tough guys out to do battle hurting good players because they can fight!

What usually happens is they finally get a beating that puts them out of the game for good!

Why didn’t they choose boxing? Cowards maybe? Getting wasted and fighting your girlfriend isn’t pretty! I’ve seen this personally and these guys are COWARDS!! People who are ignorant think they are entertaining and really nice guys off ice!! No way Jose! A few change and good for them!!

Their resume says “No skills but I can KILL! Watch wonderful ME”. MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!

26. carol6645 - Nov 23, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Coulton Orr was the one Lucic hid from!

Called the officials for help and then hid behind them!!

Someone like Orr will take Lucic out permanently. He is a damaged young man now! Sad really!

27. 051070a - Nov 23, 2011 at 1:17 AM

carol6645 the reality bus doesn’t stop at your house does it.

28. carol6645 - Nov 23, 2011 at 8:37 AM

051070a all I KNOW is REALITY! Would you like to explain your comment?
    I’d love to live in a fantasy world where all is perfect and Lucic was a STAR! Is he good for hockey? Crosby touches the hockey world for good to it’s very core!

29. carol6645 - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Snowing in Halifax–Cold hard REALITY!

Bruin’s fans love violence therefore they rock the arena when Lucic fights! Blood and gore everywhere! Yahoo! and hurrah! to a Bruin!
    Most fans love their players to win a fight! REALITY! I don’t! Another REALITY!

30. carol6645 - Nov 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM

By the way, what’s a ‘bus’?

31. carol6645 - Nov 23, 2011 at 3:07 PM

By the 051070a, what’s a bus?

32. carol6645 - Nov 23, 2011 at 3:11 PM

What’s with my comments not going through? They ask me to re-enter and I end up with 2 comments basically identical? There you go! Nothing is perfect! That’s reality!

33. 051070a - Nov 23, 2011 at 7:18 PM

wow, explain “reality bus” is it fiegned ignorance or real ignorance?

34. carol6645 - Nov 24, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Hey! Pretending? NOT ME! Just using my sense of humor! Asked what is a BUS??
    You’re trying to be a psycho analyst! I like to analyze people too!
    Psychobable oozes from hockey fans! Do you have your DEGREE?
    Feign is a good word. Do you feign attention?
    The Bruins, Canucks and Penguins are up for analysis!! Despise the first two.

35. 051070a - Nov 27, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Obviously real ignorance.

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches