Nov 20, 2011, 3:18 PM EDT
Crosby Watch is over and now we can just watch Crosby.
Penguins captain Sidney Crosby will return to action on Monday night against the New York Islanders. It’ll be the first game Crosby has played since January 5 against Tampa Bay with a concussion and for the Penguins, they’ll finally get to see what life is like with a fully healthy and capable lineup. The Penguins’ careful concussion rehab with Crosby is about to pay off.
Crosby rejoins his team with the Penguins sitting tied atop the Eastern Conference with the Flyers and the Pens showing a tougher dedication to defense. Adding Crosby back to the lineup gives the Penguins an offensive lift unlike what any team could add. What will prove to be fascinating is seeing how Sid responds to coming back.
Crosby returns to a Penguins lineup that sees a lot of familiar faces still there but also has a gift awaiting him in the team’s top goal scorer in James Neal. If Crosby returns playing the way he did when he went out last season, Neal and the rest of the Penguins are going to get a huge lift and increases in their stats. Crosby was on a pace steamroll his way to a scoring title before being knocked out of action by Victor Hedman.
Seeing Sid come back in a game against the Islanders in Pittsburgh also sets things up for him to get off to a roaring start given how bad the Islanders have played this season.
Crosby coming back to action now also provides a welcome lift of good news after all the miserable news that’s plagued hockey the last few months. With Alex Ovechkin slumping in Washington, Crosby has the chance to give that superstar spark the Penguins and the league needs.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)