Nov 6, 2011, 8:00 AM EST
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Columbus Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel brushed off questions about his (and one could guess Scott Howson’s) future after that 9-2 monstrosity and focused instead upon Sunday/beyond. It looks like the hockey world might be deprived of a guy who uses the word “bottoms” in a way that amuses immature people like myself, which is definitely a bummer. (Aaron Portzline – Columbus Dispatch)
The Boston Bruins continued their seemingly endless 2011 Stanley Cup victory lap as they shared a ring with the Hockey Hall of Fame. At least their 7-0 win against Toronto keeps curmudgeonly critics from slamming them on that general subject again … right?
Correct me if I’m wrong, but with 14 points in 13 games, David Legwand must be the least likely guy in the top 20 in scoring – especially with a month in the books. This is either an unusually hot run or he’s the slowest developing second overall draft pick in recent NHL history. (Amanda DiPaolo – Inside Smashville)
The St. Louis Blues power play is stagnating, which falls in the general theme of limited support for Jaroslav Halak. The Blues have scored just nine goals in his six defeats so far this season. (Lou Korac)
Speaking of the Blues, rumors are floating around that former Tampa Bay Lightning GM Brian Lawton and oft-ridiculed former co-owner Oren Koules might be involved in the team’s new front office. (Bruce Garrioch – Ottawa Sun via Kukla’s Korner)
Legwand isn’t the only surprising high-scorer, though. Milan Michalek has 14 points of his own, including this nice goal against the Buffalo Sabres, who got the last laugh with a shootout win.
Hey, maybe that Dany Heatley trade wasn’t so bad for Ottawa after … Ah, forget it.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)