Nov 6, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Columbus Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel brushed off questions about his (and one could guess Scott Howson’s) future after that 9-2 monstrosity and focused instead upon Sunday/beyond. It looks like the hockey world might be deprived of a guy who uses the word “bottoms” in a way that amuses immature people like myself, which is definitely a bummer. (Aaron Portzline – Columbus Dispatch)
The Boston Bruins continued their seemingly endless 2011 Stanley Cup victory lap as they shared a ring with the Hockey Hall of Fame. At least their 7-0 win against Toronto keeps curmudgeonly critics from slamming them on that general subject again … right?
Correct me if I’m wrong, but with 14 points in 13 games, David Legwand must be the least likely guy in the top 20 in scoring – especially with a month in the books. This is either an unusually hot run or he’s the slowest developing second overall draft pick in recent NHL history. (Amanda DiPaolo – Inside Smashville)
The St. Louis Blues power play is stagnating, which falls in the general theme of limited support for Jaroslav Halak. The Blues have scored just nine goals in his six defeats so far this season. (Lou Korac)
Speaking of the Blues, rumors are floating around that former Tampa Bay Lightning GM Brian Lawton and oft-ridiculed former co-owner Oren Koules might be involved in the team’s new front office. (Bruce Garrioch – Ottawa Sun via Kukla’s Korner)
Legwand isn’t the only surprising high-scorer, though. Milan Michalek has 14 points of his own, including this nice goal against the Buffalo Sabres, who got the last laugh with a shootout win.
Hey, maybe that Dany Heatley trade wasn’t so bad for Ottawa after … Ah, forget it.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)