Nov 5, 2011, 9:43 PM EDT
It would have been fascinating to be a fly (or more appropriately, a cricket) on the wall during the Columbus Blue Jackets’ second intermission tonight. What do you say to a team that fell behind 8-0 to the Philadelphia Flyers on its way to a 9-2 loss and 2-11-1 record?
In a way, that depressing locker room scenario mirrors the messy big picture in Columbus. By all reasonable measures of logic, GM Scott Howson and head coach Scott Arniel are on their way out. Jason rightly indicated that could happen anytime between now and their next game on Thursday (and that was before one of the worst beatings in franchise history).
Obviously, we’ll keep an eye out for an official decision during that period (or maybe beyond), but the Blue Jackets face some tough questions regardless of when the inevitable should happen.
1. The Blue Jackets are stuck at five points for the season while no other Western Conference team is below 11. Should they just “punt” 2011-12 anyway and hope for Nail Yakupov or some other top prospect to spearhead a new direction?
2. Steve Mason allowed six of those goals tonight. Is it best to give him time to turn it around under a new regime or should the team cut ties with their letdown in leg pads?
3. Is Ken Hitchcock the best man to do a Jacques Lemaire impression or would it be best to go in a different direction in the front office?
Those questions show why it’s often more complicated than just pressing the big red “fire” button. Still, sometimes the results are so stark that it’s the only thing to do – but how would you try to turn this moribund franchise around once that happens?
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)