Oct 30, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
Shortly thereafter, Carcillo expressed displeasure with the ruling.
K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune reports that Carbomb is upset with what he feels is suspension based on reputation, rather than the actual hit.
“There’s not too much leeway for me in this league. I’m giving some serious thought to changing my last name,” Carcillo told the Tribune. “I just tried to make a play on the puck — maybe I was leaning on him. I felt like he lost his edge and we both went into the boards. … I don’t really know what else I could have done to make it less reckless.”
Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville didn’t share in Carcillo’s frustration, but agreed his reputation probably cost him. “I watched the play. You can look at the play. He’s off-balance before there is contact in my eyes. That’s how I saw it. Whether he touched him or not, he was going down,” Coach Q told ESPN Chicago. “(Carcillo’s) leash for what he can and cannot do is very short. He knows that. I don’t want to slow him down, how he plays the game. His reputation might have been part of it.”
In Carcillo’s defense, he has done a lot this year to clean up his rep and become a legitimate hockey player (rather than his previous gig as the Tasmanian Devil.) He’s been a key contributor on a line with Patrick Kane and Marian Hossa and only taken one minor penalty in seven games played. He’s one of the Blackhawks leaders at plus-5 and, perhaps most amazingly, he’s yet to drop the mitts. For a guy that’s fought 30 times over the last two years, that’s pretty impressive restraint.
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 5
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 7
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 15
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 27
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)