Oct 30, 2011, 1:20 PM EST
Shortly thereafter, Carcillo expressed displeasure with the ruling.
K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune reports that Carbomb is upset with what he feels is suspension based on reputation, rather than the actual hit.
“There’s not too much leeway for me in this league. I’m giving some serious thought to changing my last name,” Carcillo told the Tribune. “I just tried to make a play on the puck — maybe I was leaning on him. I felt like he lost his edge and we both went into the boards. … I don’t really know what else I could have done to make it less reckless.”
Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville didn’t share in Carcillo’s frustration, but agreed his reputation probably cost him. “I watched the play. You can look at the play. He’s off-balance before there is contact in my eyes. That’s how I saw it. Whether he touched him or not, he was going down,” Coach Q told ESPN Chicago. “(Carcillo’s) leash for what he can and cannot do is very short. He knows that. I don’t want to slow him down, how he plays the game. His reputation might have been part of it.”
In Carcillo’s defense, he has done a lot this year to clean up his rep and become a legitimate hockey player (rather than his previous gig as the Tasmanian Devil.) He’s been a key contributor on a line with Patrick Kane and Marian Hossa and only taken one minor penalty in seven games played. He’s one of the Blackhawks leaders at plus-5 and, perhaps most amazingly, he’s yet to drop the mitts. For a guy that’s fought 30 times over the last two years, that’s pretty impressive restraint.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 9
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)