Oct 30, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
Shortly thereafter, Carcillo expressed displeasure with the ruling.
K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune reports that Carbomb is upset with what he feels is suspension based on reputation, rather than the actual hit.
“There’s not too much leeway for me in this league. I’m giving some serious thought to changing my last name,” Carcillo told the Tribune. “I just tried to make a play on the puck — maybe I was leaning on him. I felt like he lost his edge and we both went into the boards. … I don’t really know what else I could have done to make it less reckless.”
Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville didn’t share in Carcillo’s frustration, but agreed his reputation probably cost him. “I watched the play. You can look at the play. He’s off-balance before there is contact in my eyes. That’s how I saw it. Whether he touched him or not, he was going down,” Coach Q told ESPN Chicago. “(Carcillo’s) leash for what he can and cannot do is very short. He knows that. I don’t want to slow him down, how he plays the game. His reputation might have been part of it.”
In Carcillo’s defense, he has done a lot this year to clean up his rep and become a legitimate hockey player (rather than his previous gig as the Tasmanian Devil.) He’s been a key contributor on a line with Patrick Kane and Marian Hossa and only taken one minor penalty in seven games played. He’s one of the Blackhawks leaders at plus-5 and, perhaps most amazingly, he’s yet to drop the mitts. For a guy that’s fought 30 times over the last two years, that’s pretty impressive restraint.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)