Oct 29, 2011, 7:09 PM EDT
We knew that Daniel Carcillo would talk to Brendan Shanahan. Now we know what they talked about (via Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville): the NHL has suspended Carcillo for two games for his dangerous shove on Hurricanes’ defenseman Joni Pitkanen.
The play in question occurred only two minutes into Chicago’s 3-0 ugly defeat to the Canes. It’s an interesting suspension in that Carcillo wasn’t even penalized on the ice for the borderline call, yet he’ll miss two games (and two gameday checks) for the dangerous play.
This is exactly the kind of play that would have brought out the Wheel of Justice last season. Quenneville was a realist when he said, “his reputation may have been a part of it as well.” But with the consistency that Shanahan has brought to the league offices, it certainly appeared that Carcillo was going to get some type of punishment. Even going back to preseason, the league has been consistent in punishing reckless plays in dangerous areas of the ice.
Considering that there wasn’t even a penalty on the play from the on-ice officials, do you think the league got this one right? If this were some other player with a lesser reputation, would they have been let off with a simple fine? More importantly—should Carcillo have received a fine or did the play warrant a two-game suspension?
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)