Oct 29, 2011, 7:09 PM EDT
We knew that Daniel Carcillo would talk to Brendan Shanahan. Now we know what they talked about (via Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville): the NHL has suspended Carcillo for two games for his dangerous shove on Hurricanes’ defenseman Joni Pitkanen.
The play in question occurred only two minutes into Chicago’s 3-0 ugly defeat to the Canes. It’s an interesting suspension in that Carcillo wasn’t even penalized on the ice for the borderline call, yet he’ll miss two games (and two gameday checks) for the dangerous play.
This is exactly the kind of play that would have brought out the Wheel of Justice last season. Quenneville was a realist when he said, “his reputation may have been a part of it as well.” But with the consistency that Shanahan has brought to the league offices, it certainly appeared that Carcillo was going to get some type of punishment. Even going back to preseason, the league has been consistent in punishing reckless plays in dangerous areas of the ice.
Considering that there wasn’t even a penalty on the play from the on-ice officials, do you think the league got this one right? If this were some other player with a lesser reputation, would they have been let off with a simple fine? More importantly—should Carcillo have received a fine or did the play warrant a two-game suspension?
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Getting clutch? Capitals reportedly sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 8
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 21
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)