Oct 29, 2011, 7:09 PM EDT
We knew that Daniel Carcillo would talk to Brendan Shanahan. Now we know what they talked about (via Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville): the NHL has suspended Carcillo for two games for his dangerous shove on Hurricanes’ defenseman Joni Pitkanen.
The play in question occurred only two minutes into Chicago’s 3-0 ugly defeat to the Canes. It’s an interesting suspension in that Carcillo wasn’t even penalized on the ice for the borderline call, yet he’ll miss two games (and two gameday checks) for the dangerous play.
This is exactly the kind of play that would have brought out the Wheel of Justice last season. Quenneville was a realist when he said, “his reputation may have been a part of it as well.” But with the consistency that Shanahan has brought to the league offices, it certainly appeared that Carcillo was going to get some type of punishment. Even going back to preseason, the league has been consistent in punishing reckless plays in dangerous areas of the ice.
Considering that there wasn’t even a penalty on the play from the on-ice officials, do you think the league got this one right? If this were some other player with a lesser reputation, would they have been let off with a simple fine? More importantly—should Carcillo have received a fine or did the play warrant a two-game suspension?
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)