Oct 29, 2011, 7:09 PM EST
We knew that Daniel Carcillo would talk to Brendan Shanahan. Now we know what they talked about (via Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville): the NHL has suspended Carcillo for two games for his dangerous shove on Hurricanes’ defenseman Joni Pitkanen.
The play in question occurred only two minutes into Chicago’s 3-0 ugly defeat to the Canes. It’s an interesting suspension in that Carcillo wasn’t even penalized on the ice for the borderline call, yet he’ll miss two games (and two gameday checks) for the dangerous play.
This is exactly the kind of play that would have brought out the Wheel of Justice last season. Quenneville was a realist when he said, “his reputation may have been a part of it as well.” But with the consistency that Shanahan has brought to the league offices, it certainly appeared that Carcillo was going to get some type of punishment. Even going back to preseason, the league has been consistent in punishing reckless plays in dangerous areas of the ice.
Considering that there wasn’t even a penalty on the play from the on-ice officials, do you think the league got this one right? If this were some other player with a lesser reputation, would they have been let off with a simple fine? More importantly—should Carcillo have received a fine or did the play warrant a two-game suspension?
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 37
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 10
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 35
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (57)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (41)