Oct 28, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
The USA Today’s Kevin Allen has written a rather neat piece in which he ranks the players/coaches/GMs/teams that are under the most pressure in the NHL.
Here’s Allen’s list:
1. Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo
2. Columbus GM Scott Howson
3. Boston Bruins
4. Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov
5. NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan
6. Coyotes trade-seeker Kyle Turris
7. Montreal coach Jacques Martin
8. Nashville GM David Poile
9. Hurricanes forward Eric Staal
A few thoughts:
—-I’d push Bryzgalov to the top after last night.
—-No way the Bruins deserve to be on the list. Stanley Cup champs get a minimum one-year grace period. Being from Vancouver, I can tell you if the Canucks won the Cup they’d be able to play drunk the next season if they felt like it.
—-Savvy pick to have Poile on there. Talk about a tough situation. Defenseman Ryan Suter and goalie Pekka Rinne are set to become unrestricted free agents on July 1. Sign those two and there might not be enough in the budget to keep RFA Shea Weber, who could become a UFA after the 2012-13 season. But don’t sign those two, and what are the chances Weber will decide to stay long-term?
—-I’d sub out the Bruins and add Kings defenseman Drew Doughty. Whenever you play hardball in contract negotiations and end up getting what you want, you better prove you were worth it. Doughty was good last season, but he wasn’t great.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 0
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 12
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 65
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)