Oct 28, 2011, 8:43 AM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov has had a rough go of things so far this year, but last night’s 9-8 loss to Winnipeg saw Bryzgalov come into the game in relief of Sergei Bobrovsky only to offer no relief at all giving up four goals on just ten shots faced including the game-winner with under two minutes left to play.
While Bobrovsky did most of the damage in giving up six goals in just over 20 minutes of play, Bryzgalov’s bad night proved to be the difference as the Flyers were mostly able to keep up with the offensively gifted for an evening Jets. Giving up nine goals to some teams might make some kind of sense, but the Jets? The former Thrashers who couldn’t score goals either? Yikes.
After the game, Bryzgalov faced the media and was harder on himself than any of the scribes could be. CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio was there hearing from Bryzgalov as he railed against himself.
Not since Ron Hextall has a Flyer goalie truly thrown himself under the bus. Bryz did.
“I have zero confidence in myself right now,” he said. “If you probably throw a ball instead of the puck, I’m not gonna stop it.”
The Flyers’ $51 million goalie has four straight losses. He’s given up 18 goals over that span.
Bryzgalov is in a bad spot right now, as are the rest of the Flyers given their last couple of losses, and it’s noble of Bryz to take the heat for all of it, but the Flyers have to get their defensive coverage figured out fast to stop having games like this. With Chris Pronger out for at least a couple weeks, it’s not going to get any easier, but Philly has to get something done to prevent things from getting worse.
Here’s video from CSNPhilly.com of Bryz’s full rant.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 23
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 40
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 24
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6