Oct 28, 2011, 8:43 AM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov has had a rough go of things so far this year, but last night’s 9-8 loss to Winnipeg saw Bryzgalov come into the game in relief of Sergei Bobrovsky only to offer no relief at all giving up four goals on just ten shots faced including the game-winner with under two minutes left to play.
While Bobrovsky did most of the damage in giving up six goals in just over 20 minutes of play, Bryzgalov’s bad night proved to be the difference as the Flyers were mostly able to keep up with the offensively gifted for an evening Jets. Giving up nine goals to some teams might make some kind of sense, but the Jets? The former Thrashers who couldn’t score goals either? Yikes.
After the game, Bryzgalov faced the media and was harder on himself than any of the scribes could be. CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio was there hearing from Bryzgalov as he railed against himself.
Not since Ron Hextall has a Flyer goalie truly thrown himself under the bus. Bryz did.
“I have zero confidence in myself right now,” he said. “If you probably throw a ball instead of the puck, I’m not gonna stop it.”
The Flyers’ $51 million goalie has four straight losses. He’s given up 18 goals over that span.
Bryzgalov is in a bad spot right now, as are the rest of the Flyers given their last couple of losses, and it’s noble of Bryz to take the heat for all of it, but the Flyers have to get their defensive coverage figured out fast to stop having games like this. With Chris Pronger out for at least a couple weeks, it’s not going to get any easier, but Philly has to get something done to prevent things from getting worse.
Here’s video from CSNPhilly.com of Bryz’s full rant.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)