Oct 28, 2011, 8:43 AM EST
Ilya Bryzgalov has had a rough go of things so far this year, but last night’s 9-8 loss to Winnipeg saw Bryzgalov come into the game in relief of Sergei Bobrovsky only to offer no relief at all giving up four goals on just ten shots faced including the game-winner with under two minutes left to play.
While Bobrovsky did most of the damage in giving up six goals in just over 20 minutes of play, Bryzgalov’s bad night proved to be the difference as the Flyers were mostly able to keep up with the offensively gifted for an evening Jets. Giving up nine goals to some teams might make some kind of sense, but the Jets? The former Thrashers who couldn’t score goals either? Yikes.
After the game, Bryzgalov faced the media and was harder on himself than any of the scribes could be. CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio was there hearing from Bryzgalov as he railed against himself.
Not since Ron Hextall has a Flyer goalie truly thrown himself under the bus. Bryz did.
“I have zero confidence in myself right now,” he said. “If you probably throw a ball instead of the puck, I’m not gonna stop it.”
The Flyers’ $51 million goalie has four straight losses. He’s given up 18 goals over that span.
Bryzgalov is in a bad spot right now, as are the rest of the Flyers given their last couple of losses, and it’s noble of Bryz to take the heat for all of it, but the Flyers have to get their defensive coverage figured out fast to stop having games like this. With Chris Pronger out for at least a couple weeks, it’s not going to get any easier, but Philly has to get something done to prevent things from getting worse.
Here’s video from CSNPhilly.com of Bryz’s full rant.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (169)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)