Oct 21, 2011, 12:09 PM EDT
The NHL has announced that Nashville Predators defenseman Shea Weber will have a hearing with discipline czar Brendan Shananan today for a hit last night on Vancouver’s Jannik Hansen (watch the hit here.)
Weber received a two-minute boarding minor on the play (and an additional two for unsportsmanlike conduct). If the first penalty sounds familiar, it’s probably because Pittsburgh D Kris Letang was whistled for the same exact thing against the Jets before Shanahan nailed him with a two-game suspension.
The question now is if Weber will be considered a repeat offender. In Nashville’s previous game — a 3-1 loss to Edmonton — Weber also received a two-minute boarding minor for nailing Jordan Eberle. No, Weber wouldn’t be a repeat offender in the traditional sense. Yes, he could still be classified as one.
It’s probably a stretch to call the Predators captain a serial boarder (mostly because the term doesn’t exist), but one could say the hits are related because both were born out of frustration. A team that prides itself on airtight checking and defense, the Preds have been awful during their current four-game losing streak. They’ve been out-shot 137-94 and outscored 16-6. Weber’s gone pointless over that stretch while racking up 12 penalty minutes.
To get a full sense of Nashville’s frustration level, look no further than head coach Barry Trotz. He lit into his team following last night’s 5-1 loss in Vancouver, saying rookie Mattias Ekholm was “horrible” and telling his young players if they’re scared of playing the best teams in the league, they should get a dog.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 22
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)