Oct 21, 2011, 12:09 PM EDT
The NHL has announced that Nashville Predators defenseman Shea Weber will have a hearing with discipline czar Brendan Shananan today for a hit last night on Vancouver’s Jannik Hansen (watch the hit here.)
Weber received a two-minute boarding minor on the play (and an additional two for unsportsmanlike conduct). If the first penalty sounds familiar, it’s probably because Pittsburgh D Kris Letang was whistled for the same exact thing against the Jets before Shanahan nailed him with a two-game suspension.
The question now is if Weber will be considered a repeat offender. In Nashville’s previous game — a 3-1 loss to Edmonton — Weber also received a two-minute boarding minor for nailing Jordan Eberle. No, Weber wouldn’t be a repeat offender in the traditional sense. Yes, he could still be classified as one.
It’s probably a stretch to call the Predators captain a serial boarder (mostly because the term doesn’t exist), but one could say the hits are related because both were born out of frustration. A team that prides itself on airtight checking and defense, the Preds have been awful during their current four-game losing streak. They’ve been out-shot 137-94 and outscored 16-6. Weber’s gone pointless over that stretch while racking up 12 penalty minutes.
To get a full sense of Nashville’s frustration level, look no further than head coach Barry Trotz. He lit into his team following last night’s 5-1 loss in Vancouver, saying rookie Mattias Ekholm was “horrible” and telling his young players if they’re scared of playing the best teams in the league, they should get a dog.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 0
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 3
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 7
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)