Oct 21, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
When you cross Barry Trotz and you happen to be on his team when you tick him off, you’d better get out of the way. After Nashville’s 5-1 loss to Vancouver last night, Trotz sounded off in a big (and pretty hilarious) way to the press afterward.
The Tennessean’s Joshua Cooper dodged the insults and got the quotes we all desire.
On the play of rookie Mattias Ekholm, Trotz was brief.
“I thought he was horrible, just horrible.”
“You’re going to have to line up against the best in the league, if you’re scared of that, get a dog.”
If there’s one thing Trotz was thankful for, it was for Canucks coach Alain Vigneault playing nice with him.
“I want to thank Alain Vigneault for not playing his top two lines the last 10 minutes.”
If you think that Trotz was breaking out the sarcasm there, he wasn’t. Vigneault kept rolling his third and fourth lines late in the game.
A blow up like this is the thing of legend. Seeing a coach so thoroughly disgusted with his team that he not only named names and complimented the opposing coach for taking it easy on them, he capped it off by pulling a Bob Barker-esque spin for the youngsters.
While it’s not quite football coach Mike Gundy yelling, “I’m a man! I’m 40!” or even John Tortorella snapping off at Larry Brooks, one thing’s for sure, I’m glad I’m not taking part in the Preds’ next practice. Hello bag skate!
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 0
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 5
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 21
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 58
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control