Oct 10, 2011, 7:31 PM EDT
When it comes to Mattias Ohlund, there are at least two things uglier than his contract: his knees. The aging Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman hopes to put those problems behind him, as he decided to get both of them scoped, according to Joe Smith of the St. Petersburg Times.
The expected window of recovery is from six to eight weeks, although considering the fact that he’ll need to rehab both knees, it could be a fluid situation. The Lightning decided to put him on the injured reserve last week.
Honestly, the layoff might be worth it if the Swedish blueliner can regain at least some of his mobility. It was pretty obvious that he missed a step or five last season, judging by the fact that he averaged four less minutes per game than in 2009-10.
Deep down, the Bolts might hope for him to retire, but they could eventually bury his $3.6 million cap hit in the minors. He’ll get a chance to prove he belongs with the big club before that happens, though – even if it’s unclear when he’ll come back.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)