Oct 4, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
Although the owners who actually churn out the checks will disagree, for the most part, the NHL’s worst contracts are all about term. It’s bad enough – but borderline inevitable – to pay a hockey player too much money. Things get a lot worse when that poor rate will renew itself for multiple seasons as that same player’s skills likely decline.
The Tampa Bay Lightning probably aren’t ecstatic about paying 35-year-old defenseman Mattias Ohlund a whopping $5.5 million in salary in 2011-12, but the long-term salary cap hit of approximately $3.61 million might be even scarier. It takes him through the 2015-16 season, making it one of those “What were they thinking?” contracts. Ohlund’s deal ties him with Steven Stamkos for the second longest running contract in Tampa Bay, behind Vincent Lecavalier‘s troubling deal.
Ohlund’s foot speed keeps diminishing to a worrisome point, but now he has bigger concerns. The Lightning placed the Swedish blueliner on the injured reserve Monday because of a knee injury. He underwent an MRI yesterday, but the results haven’t been revealed just yet. During his first two seasons with Tampa Bay, Ohlund played 67 games in 2009-10 and 72 in 10-11. We’ll see how many he can be a part of in 11-12, as this certainly isn’t a promising start.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 19
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 17
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 17
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 13
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 30
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)