Sep 6, 2011, 3:01 PM EDT
Time for an update on how Flyers GM Paul Holmgren is doing after suffering a bicycle accident yesterday in New Jersey. Last night, it was reported by CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio that Holmgren suffered broken ribs, a broken shoulder, and other injuries in his accident and was taken to Cooper University Hospital for treatment.
Today, Panaccio’s update on the accident tells us that Holmgren was knocked unconscious by the accident.
Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren, who suffered multiple fractures in a bicycle accident on Monday in Avalon, N.J. apparently was knocked unconscious and awoke to people tending to him, according to scout Bill Barber.
Holmgren, 55, who lost his balance riding the bike, was wearing a helmet. No other vehicle was involved in the accident.
He remains in Cooper Medical Center with fractured ribs, a fractured shoulder and minor abrasions.
That’s a terrifying way to wake up.
Comcast President & COO Peter Lukko gave an official Flyers update on what Holmgren’s condition is and what exactly happened to Holmgren in his accident.
“It appears that he might have hit a rut or something as he was biking in Avalon. I know Paul, he’s pretty fast on that bike so he probably went over pretty hard. The good news is that it’s certainly nothing life-threatening and we’ll have him back.”
He’s a former hockey player, he’s a gamer. Here’s to hoping Holmgren recovers in full and is ready to see his new acquisitions get to work in training camp and the regular season, he’ll need all of his strength to see if he made the right moves.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)