Sep 5, 2011, 9:49 PM EST
According to CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren was injured after being involved in a serious bicycle accident in the south New Jersey town of Avalon.
Panaccio reports that Holmgren suffered broken ribs, a broken shoulder, other injuries and stitches in a accident. He remains hospitalized at Cooper University Hospital this evening.
Holmgren was the mastermind behind the remaking of the Flyers this offseason sending former captain Mike Richards to Los Angeles, Jeff Carter to Philadelphia, and acquiring Ilya Bryzgalov, Jakub Voracek, Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds, as well as signing free agents Maxime Talbot and Andreas Lilja this summer. Holmgren has been GM of the Flyers since the 2006-2007 season when he took over for Bobby Clarke.
The Flyers will have an update on Holmgren’s condition tomorrow. We’ll keep you updated as the story is updated.
Update (10:33 p.m.): Holmgren is listed in stable condition at Cooper University Hospital.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)