Aug 5, 2011, 10:03 AM EDT
It’s been said many times that nothing good happens after midnight. For Rangers forward Sean Avery that’s holding especially true.
Celebrity gossip site TMZ breaks the news that a noise complaint over a loud party at Avery’s home was called in to police by a neighbor at 1:00 a.m. and when Avery answered the door as police arrived to break things up, he shoved the officer at the door and slammed the door behind him.
Avery was arrested and charged with battery on a peace officer for the shove and taken to a Hollywood jail and held on $20,000 bail. For Avery, this arrest piles on to what’s been a weird offseason filled with highs and lows with things that have absolutely nothing to do with what he’s done on the ice recently.
Avery’s done his part to help gay rights in New York taking a stand for the marriage equality bill that passed in New York State. Avery was also allegedly mentioned by former teammate Alex Frolov for using racist remarks to goad opponents into snapping off at them, something Frolov later denied saying to a Russian news site.
Adding this arrest on top of the latter story, and people are going to start thinking that Avery is heading down a dangerous path once again. Judging by the description of what happened in this situation, it sounds like to us that Avery picked the wrong time to let his emotions get the best of him and think he could win a fight. Instigating anything with a police officer is never the right way to go about things, but much like hockey, Avery was thrown in the sin bin to think about what he did.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 48
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)