Aug 5, 2011, 10:03 AM EDT
It’s been said many times that nothing good happens after midnight. For Rangers forward Sean Avery that’s holding especially true.
Celebrity gossip site TMZ breaks the news that a noise complaint over a loud party at Avery’s home was called in to police by a neighbor at 1:00 a.m. and when Avery answered the door as police arrived to break things up, he shoved the officer at the door and slammed the door behind him.
Avery was arrested and charged with battery on a peace officer for the shove and taken to a Hollywood jail and held on $20,000 bail. For Avery, this arrest piles on to what’s been a weird offseason filled with highs and lows with things that have absolutely nothing to do with what he’s done on the ice recently.
Avery’s done his part to help gay rights in New York taking a stand for the marriage equality bill that passed in New York State. Avery was also allegedly mentioned by former teammate Alex Frolov for using racist remarks to goad opponents into snapping off at them, something Frolov later denied saying to a Russian news site.
Adding this arrest on top of the latter story, and people are going to start thinking that Avery is heading down a dangerous path once again. Judging by the description of what happened in this situation, it sounds like to us that Avery picked the wrong time to let his emotions get the best of him and think he could win a fight. Instigating anything with a police officer is never the right way to go about things, but much like hockey, Avery was thrown in the sin bin to think about what he did.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)