Aug 5, 2011, 10:03 AM EDT
It’s been said many times that nothing good happens after midnight. For Rangers forward Sean Avery that’s holding especially true.
Celebrity gossip site TMZ breaks the news that a noise complaint over a loud party at Avery’s home was called in to police by a neighbor at 1:00 a.m. and when Avery answered the door as police arrived to break things up, he shoved the officer at the door and slammed the door behind him.
Avery was arrested and charged with battery on a peace officer for the shove and taken to a Hollywood jail and held on $20,000 bail. For Avery, this arrest piles on to what’s been a weird offseason filled with highs and lows with things that have absolutely nothing to do with what he’s done on the ice recently.
Avery’s done his part to help gay rights in New York taking a stand for the marriage equality bill that passed in New York State. Avery was also allegedly mentioned by former teammate Alex Frolov for using racist remarks to goad opponents into snapping off at them, something Frolov later denied saying to a Russian news site.
Adding this arrest on top of the latter story, and people are going to start thinking that Avery is heading down a dangerous path once again. Judging by the description of what happened in this situation, it sounds like to us that Avery picked the wrong time to let his emotions get the best of him and think he could win a fight. Instigating anything with a police officer is never the right way to go about things, but much like hockey, Avery was thrown in the sin bin to think about what he did.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)