Apr 21, 2011, 9:23 PM EDT
If there was one obvious talking point going into the Montreal Canadiens-Boston Bruins series, it’s that both sides legitimately don’t like each other. Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference isn’t the type of person to keep his thoughts to himself, so maybe it shouldn’t be surprising that Ference gave Montreal fans the finger after scoring a second period goal in tonight’s Game 4 win.
Ference could face a fine for as much as $2,500 for flipping the bird, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. (This video might be NSFW as it contains an obscene gesture, so be warned, but if you want to see it click here.)
There are a few other moments that come to mind when discussing this situation. The most recent example comes in the NBA, when Kobe Bryant received a massive $100K fine for a homophobic comment made toward a ref. The first NHL example that comes to mind is James Wisniewski’s two-game suspension for a gesture made toward Sean Avery.
Ference’s outburst isn’t as serious as those two offenses, in my opinion, but the league would be wise to discipline him in some way. We’ll let you know what ends up happening.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 14
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 9
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)