Apr 21, 2011, 9:23 PM EST
If there was one obvious talking point going into the Montreal Canadiens-Boston Bruins series, it’s that both sides legitimately don’t like each other. Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference isn’t the type of person to keep his thoughts to himself, so maybe it shouldn’t be surprising that Ference gave Montreal fans the finger after scoring a second period goal in tonight’s Game 4 win.
Ference could face a fine for as much as $2,500 for flipping the bird, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. (This video might be NSFW as it contains an obscene gesture, so be warned, but if you want to see it click here.)
There are a few other moments that come to mind when discussing this situation. The most recent example comes in the NBA, when Kobe Bryant received a massive $100K fine for a homophobic comment made toward a ref. The first NHL example that comes to mind is James Wisniewski’s two-game suspension for a gesture made toward Sean Avery.
Ference’s outburst isn’t as serious as those two offenses, in my opinion, but the league would be wise to discipline him in some way. We’ll let you know what ends up happening.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)