Apr 21, 2011, 9:23 PM EDT
If there was one obvious talking point going into the Montreal Canadiens-Boston Bruins series, it’s that both sides legitimately don’t like each other. Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference isn’t the type of person to keep his thoughts to himself, so maybe it shouldn’t be surprising that Ference gave Montreal fans the finger after scoring a second period goal in tonight’s Game 4 win.
Ference could face a fine for as much as $2,500 for flipping the bird, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. (This video might be NSFW as it contains an obscene gesture, so be warned, but if you want to see it click here.)
There are a few other moments that come to mind when discussing this situation. The most recent example comes in the NBA, when Kobe Bryant received a massive $100K fine for a homophobic comment made toward a ref. The first NHL example that comes to mind is James Wisniewski’s two-game suspension for a gesture made toward Sean Avery.
Ference’s outburst isn’t as serious as those two offenses, in my opinion, but the league would be wise to discipline him in some way. We’ll let you know what ends up happening.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)