Apr 21, 2011, 9:23 PM EST
If there was one obvious talking point going into the Montreal Canadiens-Boston Bruins series, it’s that both sides legitimately don’t like each other. Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference isn’t the type of person to keep his thoughts to himself, so maybe it shouldn’t be surprising that Ference gave Montreal fans the finger after scoring a second period goal in tonight’s Game 4 win.
Ference could face a fine for as much as $2,500 for flipping the bird, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. (This video might be NSFW as it contains an obscene gesture, so be warned, but if you want to see it click here.)
There are a few other moments that come to mind when discussing this situation. The most recent example comes in the NBA, when Kobe Bryant received a massive $100K fine for a homophobic comment made toward a ref. The first NHL example that comes to mind is James Wisniewski’s two-game suspension for a gesture made toward Sean Avery.
Ference’s outburst isn’t as serious as those two offenses, in my opinion, but the league would be wise to discipline him in some way. We’ll let you know what ends up happening.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 1
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 5
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 24
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)