Oct 12, 2010, 6:23 PM EDT
The NHL has a funny way of legislating bad behavior more harshly than dirty hits, but it’s pretty difficult to deny the need to suspend James Wisniewski for the lewd gestures he made toward perennial pest Sean Avery. TSN reports that Wisniewski will receive a two-game suspension for his childish behavior. (Read Joe’s initial take on the situation here.)
This is the second consecutive season the NHL suspended Wisniewski. Last year he received an eight-game suspension for a vicious charging hit on former teammate Brent Seabrook when Wisniewski was a member of the Anaheim Ducks.
Of course, Sean Avery is no stranger to behavior-related suspensions. He received a six-game suspension for making his “sloppy seconds” comment regarding ex-girlfriend Elisha Cuthbert’s relationship with then-Calgary Flames defenseman Dion Phaneuf. Perhaps Avery got a chuckle out of this one; does this mean that pantomiming a sex act on the ice is one-third as objectionable as referring to a former partner in a juvenile way?
Next time, Wisniewski should just do what other players do: scream those insults and profanities rather than providing an easily identifiable hand motion.
Wisniewski will miss a game against the Washington Capitals on Wednesday and a game against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Friday, but will be eligible to return for Saturday’s contest against the Colorado Avalanche.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)