Apr 3, 2011, 11:45 AM EST
As opposed to the last time these two teams met, the Philadelphia Flyers actually have some serious incentive to go all-out against the New York Rangers. Unfortunately, they will have to try to earn two big points without one of their most explosive offensive weapons, as Danny Briere will miss today’s game with lower-body soreness according to NHL.com. (Tim Panaccio confirms this report.)
After struggling a bit in his first few seasons with the Flyers – leading to more than a few criticisms of the contract he received – Briere really hit his stride beginning in the 2010 playoffs. He actually lead the NHL in scoring during the postseason and continued that momentum this season, scoring 32 goals (second on the team) and 63 points (third on the Flyers) to produce arguably his best campaign with Philly.
Injuries have been one of the biggest obstacles in his less productive seasons with the Flyers, so the team is wise to let him rest if he needs it. Briere hasn’t missed any other games to injury this season after missing seven last season and only playing in 29 regular season games in 2008-09. He did, however, miss three games because he was suspended for cross-checking New York Islanders forward Frans Nielsen earlier this season.
We’ll pass along word if Briere is expected to miss any more time, but he shouldn’t be in the lineup for today’s important game against the Rangers.
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 5
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 3
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 46
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 18
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (72)