Nov 1, 2010, 11:50 AM EST
Daniel Briere’s bad night against the Islanders on Saturday in which he started a fracas by cross checking Islanders forward Frans Nielsen in the head caught the eye of the NHL and they’ve suspended Briere for three games. The three games that Briere will miss out do lend some curiosity to the spin on the Wheel Of Justice that Briere got as he misses the Flyers game tonight against Carolina, as well as their game Thursday against the Rangers and Saturday’s rematch against the Islanders.
Compare that suspension to what happened with Chicago’s Niklas Hjalmarsson this year when his first game back after being suspended for a hit from behind on Buffalo’s Jason Pominville ended up being against Buffalo. Coincidental occurrences we’re sure, but while Hjalmarsson had to face off against the team he wronged in his first game back, Briere narrowly misses out on having to deal with the Islanders again right away in what’s sure to be a feisty game no matter what.
The NHL clearly didn’t feel the need to throw any fuel on the fire that’s sure to burn on Saturday when these two teams meet up again, and with Briere pulling a disgustingly reckless move the way he did, there’s little doubt that the Islanders would be looking to rough him up a bit. Of course, everyone in that game could be looking to rough each other up so there’s that too. Regardless, Saturday’s rematch figures to be worth keeping an eye on, we’ll just have to do it without a potential Briere sideshow.
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 9
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)