Nov 1, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
Daniel Briere’s bad night against the Islanders on Saturday in which he started a fracas by cross checking Islanders forward Frans Nielsen in the head caught the eye of the NHL and they’ve suspended Briere for three games. The three games that Briere will miss out do lend some curiosity to the spin on the Wheel Of Justice that Briere got as he misses the Flyers game tonight against Carolina, as well as their game Thursday against the Rangers and Saturday’s rematch against the Islanders.
Compare that suspension to what happened with Chicago’s Niklas Hjalmarsson this year when his first game back after being suspended for a hit from behind on Buffalo’s Jason Pominville ended up being against Buffalo. Coincidental occurrences we’re sure, but while Hjalmarsson had to face off against the team he wronged in his first game back, Briere narrowly misses out on having to deal with the Islanders again right away in what’s sure to be a feisty game no matter what.
The NHL clearly didn’t feel the need to throw any fuel on the fire that’s sure to burn on Saturday when these two teams meet up again, and with Briere pulling a disgustingly reckless move the way he did, there’s little doubt that the Islanders would be looking to rough him up a bit. Of course, everyone in that game could be looking to rough each other up so there’s that too. Regardless, Saturday’s rematch figures to be worth keeping an eye on, we’ll just have to do it without a potential Briere sideshow.
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 7
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 50
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)