Mar 18, 2011, 11:39 PM EST
When Tom Hicks announced that he was looking for potential buyers for the Dallas Stars, one of the first names to be speculated was Mavericks owner Mark Cuban. He had money, shared the building with the Stars, and always came off in public interviews as a complete sports fan. As far as initial names go, it seemed within the scope of feasibility. A year later and his name is still being bounced around the rumor mill to purchase the Stars—but he’s still not about to buy the entire team from the Hicks Sports Group.
Possibly the most important reason why he’ll continue to be in the rumors is that he wants to own the beautiful downtown Dallas American Airlines Center. Back when the AAC was built in 2001, the Stars and Mavericks funded 50% of the arena with public funding covering the other 50%. Accordingly, both the Mavericks and Stars own the lease on the arena—Cuban shares ownership with the Hicks Sports Group.
It’s the lease more than the hockey franchise that has Cuban even mildly interested. Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News caught up with Cuban and asked him where he stood with the Dallas Stars and their impending sale.
“Nothing’s changed,” Cuban said before Friday’s game. “I’ll help anybody who gives me a better shot at the rest of the arena.”
Asked if he would do it himself, he said he would not.
“I’m going to let someone else do the work,” he said.
For the record, Cuban has stood firm on his stance. There was a report a few weeks ago that Allen Americans owner Douglas Miller was interested in buying the Dallas Stars and Cuban said he’d only be interested in playing a small role in the purchase when the Hicks Sports Group announced they were looking for a new owner. Thirteen months later he’s sticking to the same story. Whether he likes it or not, his name is going to continue to keep coming up in the discussions until the Stars are finally sold and the ink is dry on a contract. Until then, people will keep connecting the dots between his big personality, large bank account, and interest in owning the Mavericks’ home.
As always, we’ll update as details become available.
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 0
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 11
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)