Nov 14, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Who knows how far you can take “kicking the tires” type talk, but Sportsnet’s John Shannon discussed the interesting possibility that Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban might be interested in purchasing the Dallas Stars.
In case you weren’t following Major League Baseball ownership situations, a group headed by Nolan Ryan outbid Cuban’s group and purchased the Texas Rangers.
Such a situation indicates that Cuban might have some extra money available to invest in another sports team and there’s precedent to Cuban’s interest in the NHL: he was rumored to be interested in buying his hometown Pittsburgh Penguins in the earlier stages of that team’s sale.
So there might be a legitimate chance that Cuban is actually interested in the Stars. Watch the video for yourself (the Cuban-Stars portion begins a little bit after the 1:00 mark.)
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)