Mar 15, 2011, 11:21 PM EDT
The more the Capitals win streak keeps rolling along, the more we’re getting to see how the other parts of the Caps are working to help keep them going. While Alex Ovechkin is the main man and has been doing great for them recently, of late other names are emerging to bring it all together.
Tonight against Montreal, it was Marcus Johansson‘s turn to be the hero. Johansson scored two goals while Braden Holtby held strong in net stopping 24 shots in leading Washington to a 4-2 win. With Jason Arnott on the shelf week-to-week with an injury and Nicklas Backstrom already out with a broken thumb, the pressure shifted to Johansson to help produce from the center position on the first line with Ovechkin and Mike Knuble. Johansson answered the call with brilliant play tonight. If he can keep that level of play up the rest of the way, the Capitals attack is much more dangerous.
For the Caps, the win helps them keep pace with the Flyers in the race for the top spot in the Eastern Conference. Philly beat Florida 3-2 tonight so the Caps remain just one point behind them in the standings. The Canadiens will need to regroup if they’re hoping to catch up to Tampa Bay for the fifth seed in the East. The Rangers are lurking behind them for sixth just five points behind them after their 6-3 win over the Islanders tonight.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)