Mar 8, 2011, 12:28 AM EDT
While the Washington Capitals earned a hard-fought shootout win to improve their lead in the Southeast Division against the Tampa Bay Lightning tonight, it seemed like it might have come with two caveats: injuries to Nicklas Backstrom and Michal Neuvirth.
It looked like Backstrom aggravated his thumb injury (forcing him out after the second period), while Neuvirth left the game after the first period when a shot him in the mask.
Katie Carrera passes along good news on both fronts from coach Bruce Boudreau, who said that each player is “OK.”
Boudreau said part of the metal from the mask went into Neuvirth’s eye after that first shot. They got it out thou[gh]. “He’s going to be Ok.”
Part of his mask went into his eye? Yikes.
Backstrom fell on his left hand/fractured thumb, Boudreau said he’s going to be ok and that he wanted to come back vs Lightning. #Caps
Looked like Backstrom’s thumb and possibly part of his hand was wrapped after the game but it was hard to tell to what extent.
Now, keep in mind, this might be a matter of semantics. Being “OK” doesn’t necessarily mean that both Neuvirth and Backstrom are going to be ready for the Capitals’ next game (against the Edmonton Oilers on Wednesday), but it should at least be soothing for those worried about two important players missing serious time.
Still, the team should be careful with Backstrom. After all, it might be tough for him to maintain his world-class passing skills if that fractured thumb doesn’t heal sufficiently.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 7
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 16
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 40
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 83
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (83)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control