Feb 11, 2011, 5:57 PM EDT
While the hit itself was violent and terrible looking, it’s one that hasn’t been met with the same outrage we’ve seen elsewhere with other big hits. As we’ve seen around the NHL over the last few years, huge hits sometimes bring about huge, senseless scrums and fighting. In this case, outrage was saved for another day as even Canucks GM Mike Gillis didn’t find anything wrong with Getzlaf’s play.
Canucks coach Alain Vigneault spoke about the incident and said that Hamhuis has no one to blame for the hit but himself.
“I thought it was a good hit by a big player,” Vigneault said. “(Hamhuis) was watching his pass and he should have been trying to protect himself a little bit.
“Some guys finish hits, some guys don’t. If Hank or Danny are coming at you, maybe you can watch your pass.
“If Getzlaf is coming at you, you’ve got to have your head up.”
Tough words from the head coach there, but they’re true. It’s looking more and more like it’s a good thing that Sami Salo is making his return to Vancouver soon now with Hamhuis out for an unknown amount of time. As always with concussions you just never know how bad the damage is and how long it’ll keep Hamhuis out of the lineup.
Salo’s return will help soften the blow of losing Hamhuis, but Hamhuis’ dependable defensive play will be missed on the back end. Salo isn’t as good of a defender as Hamhuis so how they hold up without him should be worth watching. Vancouver doesn’t have many flaws this year, but if the defense breaks down in front of Roberto Luongo we’ve seen that lead to problems all around in the past.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)