Feb 11, 2011, 5:57 PM EST
While the hit itself was violent and terrible looking, it’s one that hasn’t been met with the same outrage we’ve seen elsewhere with other big hits. As we’ve seen around the NHL over the last few years, huge hits sometimes bring about huge, senseless scrums and fighting. In this case, outrage was saved for another day as even Canucks GM Mike Gillis didn’t find anything wrong with Getzlaf’s play.
Canucks coach Alain Vigneault spoke about the incident and said that Hamhuis has no one to blame for the hit but himself.
“I thought it was a good hit by a big player,” Vigneault said. “(Hamhuis) was watching his pass and he should have been trying to protect himself a little bit.
“Some guys finish hits, some guys don’t. If Hank or Danny are coming at you, maybe you can watch your pass.
“If Getzlaf is coming at you, you’ve got to have your head up.”
Tough words from the head coach there, but they’re true. It’s looking more and more like it’s a good thing that Sami Salo is making his return to Vancouver soon now with Hamhuis out for an unknown amount of time. As always with concussions you just never know how bad the damage is and how long it’ll keep Hamhuis out of the lineup.
Salo’s return will help soften the blow of losing Hamhuis, but Hamhuis’ dependable defensive play will be missed on the back end. Salo isn’t as good of a defender as Hamhuis so how they hold up without him should be worth watching. Vancouver doesn’t have many flaws this year, but if the defense breaks down in front of Roberto Luongo we’ve seen that lead to problems all around in the past.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)