Feb 11, 2011, 5:57 PM EST
While the hit itself was violent and terrible looking, it’s one that hasn’t been met with the same outrage we’ve seen elsewhere with other big hits. As we’ve seen around the NHL over the last few years, huge hits sometimes bring about huge, senseless scrums and fighting. In this case, outrage was saved for another day as even Canucks GM Mike Gillis didn’t find anything wrong with Getzlaf’s play.
Canucks coach Alain Vigneault spoke about the incident and said that Hamhuis has no one to blame for the hit but himself.
“I thought it was a good hit by a big player,” Vigneault said. “(Hamhuis) was watching his pass and he should have been trying to protect himself a little bit.
“Some guys finish hits, some guys don’t. If Hank or Danny are coming at you, maybe you can watch your pass.
“If Getzlaf is coming at you, you’ve got to have your head up.”
Tough words from the head coach there, but they’re true. It’s looking more and more like it’s a good thing that Sami Salo is making his return to Vancouver soon now with Hamhuis out for an unknown amount of time. As always with concussions you just never know how bad the damage is and how long it’ll keep Hamhuis out of the lineup.
Salo’s return will help soften the blow of losing Hamhuis, but Hamhuis’ dependable defensive play will be missed on the back end. Salo isn’t as good of a defender as Hamhuis so how they hold up without him should be worth watching. Vancouver doesn’t have many flaws this year, but if the defense breaks down in front of Roberto Luongo we’ve seen that lead to problems all around in the past.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)