Feb 11, 2011, 1:43 PM EDT
A long absent but familiar face is returning to Vancouver. Defenseman Sami Salo has been recalled from his conditioning assignment in the AHL and he appears ready to return to action for the Canucks. Salo has missed all of this season after rupturing his Achilles tendon during the off-season while playing floorball.
Salo’s return comes at a great time for Vancouver as they’ve been beset by injuries elsewhere on their blue line with Alexander Edler and Keith Ballard being out of action on injured reserve and Dan Hamhuis’ condition being up in the air after a crushing hit by Anaheim’s Ryan Getzlaf the other night. In the meantime, the Canucks have been rolling with a patchwork of help with Aaron Rome and Chris Tanev getting heavier minutes.
If Salo himself can avoid bizarre mishaps and freak injuries, something that’s plagued him throughout his career in Ottawa and Vancouver, that kind of stability along the back line would be a marked change for the Canucks. Salo’s shot from the point provides them with another weapon, something the best team in the NHL doesn’t exactly need. With Christian Ehrhoff and Kevin Bieksa playing so well but for Vancouver, once everyone is healthy they’ll have one of the best defensive units in the NHL.
If teams weren’t worried about the Canucks already, perhaps it’s time to start getting very nervous.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal