Feb 9, 2011, 7:34 PM EDT
Though their 2010-11 season has produced far inferior results, the New York Islanders can relate to the 09-10 version of the Philadelphia Flyers. That Flyers team experienced a ridiculous parade of injuries to their netminders last season, while the Isles have been hit with wave after wave of bad luck for their group.
On the heels of Kevin Poulin’s freak season-ending injury, the Isles decided to acquire a depth goalie in the form of Al Montoya. The team needed another goalie after injuries to Poulin, Nathan Lawson and Rick DiPietro plus the Dwayne Roloson trade.
The Islanders sent a sixth round pick to the Phoenix Coyotes for a netminder who will either take the place of a called-up minor leaguer or possibly get a few NHL reps himself.
Montoya’s career has been a bit of a disappointment considering the fact that he was a 2004 first round draft pick of the New York Rangers, going sixth overall. He produced mediocre minor league numbers in the Coyotes system this season (11-8 record but only a 89.1 save percentage), but does at least one thing well: moving the puck.
Time will tell if Montoya does something with one more opportunity or if he just acts as a warm body in the Islanders’ injury-ravaged goalie rotation.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)