Feb 9, 2011, 7:34 PM EST
Though their 2010-11 season has produced far inferior results, the New York Islanders can relate to the 09-10 version of the Philadelphia Flyers. That Flyers team experienced a ridiculous parade of injuries to their netminders last season, while the Isles have been hit with wave after wave of bad luck for their group.
On the heels of Kevin Poulin’s freak season-ending injury, the Isles decided to acquire a depth goalie in the form of Al Montoya. The team needed another goalie after injuries to Poulin, Nathan Lawson and Rick DiPietro plus the Dwayne Roloson trade.
The Islanders sent a sixth round pick to the Phoenix Coyotes for a netminder who will either take the place of a called-up minor leaguer or possibly get a few NHL reps himself.
Montoya’s career has been a bit of a disappointment considering the fact that he was a 2004 first round draft pick of the New York Rangers, going sixth overall. He produced mediocre minor league numbers in the Coyotes system this season (11-8 record but only a 89.1 save percentage), but does at least one thing well: moving the puck.
Time will tell if Montoya does something with one more opportunity or if he just acts as a warm body in the Islanders’ injury-ravaged goalie rotation.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)