Feb 9, 2011, 7:34 PM EST
Though their 2010-11 season has produced far inferior results, the New York Islanders can relate to the 09-10 version of the Philadelphia Flyers. That Flyers team experienced a ridiculous parade of injuries to their netminders last season, while the Isles have been hit with wave after wave of bad luck for their group.
On the heels of Kevin Poulin’s freak season-ending injury, the Isles decided to acquire a depth goalie in the form of Al Montoya. The team needed another goalie after injuries to Poulin, Nathan Lawson and Rick DiPietro plus the Dwayne Roloson trade.
The Islanders sent a sixth round pick to the Phoenix Coyotes for a netminder who will either take the place of a called-up minor leaguer or possibly get a few NHL reps himself.
Montoya’s career has been a bit of a disappointment considering the fact that he was a 2004 first round draft pick of the New York Rangers, going sixth overall. He produced mediocre minor league numbers in the Coyotes system this season (11-8 record but only a 89.1 save percentage), but does at least one thing well: moving the puck.
Time will tell if Montoya does something with one more opportunity or if he just acts as a warm body in the Islanders’ injury-ravaged goalie rotation.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)