Feb 9, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
Last night’s freakish injury on Long Island featuring rookie goalie Kevin Poulin going down during warmups leading to Mikko Koskinen’s first NHL start and an Islanders 5-3 loss to Toronto came with a poor outcome for Poulin. The Islanders announced today that Poulin’s injury is a dislocated left kneecap which will require surgery and put him out for the season.
Poulin was starting last night because Rick DiPietro is out for a few weeks with facial fractures and a swollen knee thanks to getting punched out by Brent Johnson. Koskinen was called up to be Poulin’s backup and now the team has called up Joel Martin to join Koskinen in the ever-vacating Islanders goal.
The Islanders do still hold the rights to Evgeni Nabokov but Nabokov continues to sit at home rather than join the Islanders. We know the Isles aren’t a likely playoff team, but Nabokov could do a lot of good will for himself and the team by showing up and trying to avoid the injury boogeyman in Long Island for the rest of the season. That doesn’t appear likely at this time. Instead, the team will sweat it out waiting for Nathan Lawson to get back to health and give the Isles a slightly better rookie option in goal while DiPietro is out.
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 4
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 9
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 31
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)