Feb 4, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
It turns out that Brent Johnson hurt more than Rick DiPietro’s pride when he landed a one-punch knockout during their goalie fight on Wednesday night.
The New York Islanders report that their constantly injured netminder will miss four to six weeks with facial fractures from the punch, although the Islanders listed knee swelling as another reason why he will miss a big chunk of time.
While there is certainly some dark humor to the injury, it makes that resounding clip a little bit sad. Then again, DiPietro was probably being pretty foolish when he went into that fight, considering his health problems and previous concussion issues. (Something that Mike Milbury discussed earlier this week.)
This injury could spur the Islanders to make a move for a goalie at some point, although they missed their chance to claim Mike Smith off of waivers. It’s just been one of those years for a franchise that has had quite a few of “those years” and DiPietro is the embodiment of those struggles.
Here’s the video of that fight one more time.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38