Feb 4, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
It turns out that Brent Johnson hurt more than Rick DiPietro’s pride when he landed a one-punch knockout during their goalie fight on Wednesday night.
The New York Islanders report that their constantly injured netminder will miss four to six weeks with facial fractures from the punch, although the Islanders listed knee swelling as another reason why he will miss a big chunk of time.
While there is certainly some dark humor to the injury, it makes that resounding clip a little bit sad. Then again, DiPietro was probably being pretty foolish when he went into that fight, considering his health problems and previous concussion issues. (Something that Mike Milbury discussed earlier this week.)
This injury could spur the Islanders to make a move for a goalie at some point, although they missed their chance to claim Mike Smith off of waivers. It’s just been one of those years for a franchise that has had quite a few of “those years” and DiPietro is the embodiment of those struggles.
Here’s the video of that fight one more time.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63