Feb 4, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
It turns out that Brent Johnson hurt more than Rick DiPietro’s pride when he landed a one-punch knockout during their goalie fight on Wednesday night.
The New York Islanders report that their constantly injured netminder will miss four to six weeks with facial fractures from the punch, although the Islanders listed knee swelling as another reason why he will miss a big chunk of time.
While there is certainly some dark humor to the injury, it makes that resounding clip a little bit sad. Then again, DiPietro was probably being pretty foolish when he went into that fight, considering his health problems and previous concussion issues. (Something that Mike Milbury discussed earlier this week.)
This injury could spur the Islanders to make a move for a goalie at some point, although they missed their chance to claim Mike Smith off of waivers. It’s just been one of those years for a franchise that has had quite a few of “those years” and DiPietro is the embodiment of those struggles.
Here’s the video of that fight one more time.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)