Feb 4, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
It turns out that Brent Johnson hurt more than Rick DiPietro’s pride when he landed a one-punch knockout during their goalie fight on Wednesday night.
The New York Islanders report that their constantly injured netminder will miss four to six weeks with facial fractures from the punch, although the Islanders listed knee swelling as another reason why he will miss a big chunk of time.
While there is certainly some dark humor to the injury, it makes that resounding clip a little bit sad. Then again, DiPietro was probably being pretty foolish when he went into that fight, considering his health problems and previous concussion issues. (Something that Mike Milbury discussed earlier this week.)
This injury could spur the Islanders to make a move for a goalie at some point, although they missed their chance to claim Mike Smith off of waivers. It’s just been one of those years for a franchise that has had quite a few of “those years” and DiPietro is the embodiment of those struggles.
Here’s the video of that fight one more time.
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 4
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 12
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 115
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (115)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)