Feb 4, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
It turns out that Brent Johnson hurt more than Rick DiPietro’s pride when he landed a one-punch knockout during their goalie fight on Wednesday night.
The New York Islanders report that their constantly injured netminder will miss four to six weeks with facial fractures from the punch, although the Islanders listed knee swelling as another reason why he will miss a big chunk of time.
While there is certainly some dark humor to the injury, it makes that resounding clip a little bit sad. Then again, DiPietro was probably being pretty foolish when he went into that fight, considering his health problems and previous concussion issues. (Something that Mike Milbury discussed earlier this week.)
This injury could spur the Islanders to make a move for a goalie at some point, although they missed their chance to claim Mike Smith off of waivers. It’s just been one of those years for a franchise that has had quite a few of “those years” and DiPietro is the embodiment of those struggles.
Here’s the video of that fight one more time.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 24
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)