Jan 26, 2011, 12:49 AM EDT
The Ducks head into the All-Star break having won seven of their last nine and 10 out of 13 games, while Jonas Hiller earned his league-leading 25th win. This game marked Teemu Selanne’s 100th career game winning goal and Jason Blake‘s 200th career goal.
The Penguins might not have Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin right now, but they still have a red-hot Marc-Andre Fleury in net. Fleury stopped all 29 Islanders shots to earn a 1-0 win, as Craig Adams scored the game’s only goal. Kevin Poulin stopped all but one of Pittsburgh’s 31 shots in this one.
Mike Weaver scored a game winning goal on the Panthers’ only shot in the third period, breaking Florida’s four game losing streak in the process. They almost blew a 3-1 lead but managed to squeak by thanks to Weaver’s goal.
While the Senators’ playoff hopes are almost dead at six losses in a row, the Sabres are only four points out of the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference with two less games played than the Thrashers. Shoane Morrisonn scored the overtime game winner for Buffalo.
The Flyers will go into the weekend as the top team in the NHL thanks to the 1,000th home win in their franchise history. They scored two power-play goals in the first period to give themselves a nice lead and never really let the Habs get in the game. Chris Pronger provided four assists while Danny Briere scored a goal and an assist.
The Wild continue to be tough on the road, as they earned their 14th away win – one less than they earned all of last season. Of course, when you have a goalie playing as well as Niklas Backstrom (31 saves) has, maybe it shouldn’t be so surprising.
It looked like this game would go into charity point mode (er, overtime), but Dustin Penner spoiled the Coyotes’ chances by winning it with 21 seconds left in the third period instead.
- Here’s an (updated) list of available NHL coaching candidates 1
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 21
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 85
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 60
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 98
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (98)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (86)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months