Jan 26, 2011, 12:49 AM EDT
The Ducks head into the All-Star break having won seven of their last nine and 10 out of 13 games, while Jonas Hiller earned his league-leading 25th win. This game marked Teemu Selanne’s 100th career game winning goal and Jason Blake‘s 200th career goal.
The Penguins might not have Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin right now, but they still have a red-hot Marc-Andre Fleury in net. Fleury stopped all 29 Islanders shots to earn a 1-0 win, as Craig Adams scored the game’s only goal. Kevin Poulin stopped all but one of Pittsburgh’s 31 shots in this one.
Mike Weaver scored a game winning goal on the Panthers’ only shot in the third period, breaking Florida’s four game losing streak in the process. They almost blew a 3-1 lead but managed to squeak by thanks to Weaver’s goal.
While the Senators’ playoff hopes are almost dead at six losses in a row, the Sabres are only four points out of the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference with two less games played than the Thrashers. Shoane Morrisonn scored the overtime game winner for Buffalo.
The Flyers will go into the weekend as the top team in the NHL thanks to the 1,000th home win in their franchise history. They scored two power-play goals in the first period to give themselves a nice lead and never really let the Habs get in the game. Chris Pronger provided four assists while Danny Briere scored a goal and an assist.
The Wild continue to be tough on the road, as they earned their 14th away win – one less than they earned all of last season. Of course, when you have a goalie playing as well as Niklas Backstrom (31 saves) has, maybe it shouldn’t be so surprising.
It looked like this game would go into charity point mode (er, overtime), but Dustin Penner spoiled the Coyotes’ chances by winning it with 21 seconds left in the third period instead.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)