Jan 25, 2011, 11:43 PM EDT
If you only watch the biggest highlight from tonight’s Toronto Maple Leafs-Tampa Bay Lightning game, it would probably look like the Leafs pounded the Lightning.
After all, it doesn’t get much better than when a player checks another skater into the opposition’s bench, does it? That’s exactly what hard-hitting Leafs defenseman Dion Phaneuf did tonight, as he sent Lightning forward Dana Tyrell sprawling into Toronto’s bench.
The hit provides an inspiring bit of footage as you can see in the clip below, but Tampa Bay ultimately beat Toronto 2-0. The Lightning will go into the All-Star Break riding a five game winning streak (including two wins to begin an epic 12-game homestand) thanks to a 26-save shutout by Dwayne Roloson and a one-goal, one assist performance by Teddy Purcell.
Yet despite the loss, the Phaneuf hit will stick with us for a while. Enjoy it in this video.
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates, leaves early 1
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 23
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)