Jan 25, 2011, 11:43 PM EDT
If you only watch the biggest highlight from tonight’s Toronto Maple Leafs-Tampa Bay Lightning game, it would probably look like the Leafs pounded the Lightning.
After all, it doesn’t get much better than when a player checks another skater into the opposition’s bench, does it? That’s exactly what hard-hitting Leafs defenseman Dion Phaneuf did tonight, as he sent Lightning forward Dana Tyrell sprawling into Toronto’s bench.
The hit provides an inspiring bit of footage as you can see in the clip below, but Tampa Bay ultimately beat Toronto 2-0. The Lightning will go into the All-Star Break riding a five game winning streak (including two wins to begin an epic 12-game homestand) thanks to a 26-save shutout by Dwayne Roloson and a one-goal, one assist performance by Teddy Purcell.
Yet despite the loss, the Phaneuf hit will stick with us for a while. Enjoy it in this video.
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 0
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 9
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 11
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4