Jan 25, 2011, 11:43 PM EDT
If you only watch the biggest highlight from tonight’s Toronto Maple Leafs-Tampa Bay Lightning game, it would probably look like the Leafs pounded the Lightning.
After all, it doesn’t get much better than when a player checks another skater into the opposition’s bench, does it? That’s exactly what hard-hitting Leafs defenseman Dion Phaneuf did tonight, as he sent Lightning forward Dana Tyrell sprawling into Toronto’s bench.
The hit provides an inspiring bit of footage as you can see in the clip below, but Tampa Bay ultimately beat Toronto 2-0. The Lightning will go into the All-Star Break riding a five game winning streak (including two wins to begin an epic 12-game homestand) thanks to a 26-save shutout by Dwayne Roloson and a one-goal, one assist performance by Teddy Purcell.
Yet despite the loss, the Phaneuf hit will stick with us for a while. Enjoy it in this video.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)