Jan 25, 2011, 11:43 PM EST
If you only watch the biggest highlight from tonight’s Toronto Maple Leafs-Tampa Bay Lightning game, it would probably look like the Leafs pounded the Lightning.
After all, it doesn’t get much better than when a player checks another skater into the opposition’s bench, does it? That’s exactly what hard-hitting Leafs defenseman Dion Phaneuf did tonight, as he sent Lightning forward Dana Tyrell sprawling into Toronto’s bench.
The hit provides an inspiring bit of footage as you can see in the clip below, but Tampa Bay ultimately beat Toronto 2-0. The Lightning will go into the All-Star Break riding a five game winning streak (including two wins to begin an epic 12-game homestand) thanks to a 26-save shutout by Dwayne Roloson and a one-goal, one assist performance by Teddy Purcell.
Yet despite the loss, the Phaneuf hit will stick with us for a while. Enjoy it in this video.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 43
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)