Jan 25, 2011, 11:43 PM EDT
If you only watch the biggest highlight from tonight’s Toronto Maple Leafs-Tampa Bay Lightning game, it would probably look like the Leafs pounded the Lightning.
After all, it doesn’t get much better than when a player checks another skater into the opposition’s bench, does it? That’s exactly what hard-hitting Leafs defenseman Dion Phaneuf did tonight, as he sent Lightning forward Dana Tyrell sprawling into Toronto’s bench.
The hit provides an inspiring bit of footage as you can see in the clip below, but Tampa Bay ultimately beat Toronto 2-0. The Lightning will go into the All-Star Break riding a five game winning streak (including two wins to begin an epic 12-game homestand) thanks to a 26-save shutout by Dwayne Roloson and a one-goal, one assist performance by Teddy Purcell.
Yet despite the loss, the Phaneuf hit will stick with us for a while. Enjoy it in this video.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 0
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)