Jan 13, 2011, 11:53 PM EDT
For a recap of the Rangers’ 1-0 win over the Canucks – including Wojtek Wolski‘s first goal with the team – click here. Let’s look at tonight’s other games that ended at a reasonable hour; we’ll summarize the Edmonton-San Jose and St. Louis-Los Angeles games later on.
Both the East and West’s top teams lost tonight, although the Flyers’ defeat was very different from the Canucks’. Philadelphia carried a 3-2 lead into the third period, but Boston outscored them 5-2 in a wild final frame to win the game. The Bruins have a four point lead over the Canadiens in the Northeast, while Philly remains one point ahead of Pittsburgh in the Atlantic.
It wasn’t necessarily pretty, but the Senators finally won for the first time after going without a victory in six straight games while Robin Lehner earned a win in his first NHL start. They nearly fumbled a 6-2 lead, but Ottawa was able to earn a win thanks to a team effort.
He didn’t get a Gordie Howe hat trick, but Cody McCormick still helped the Sabres earn a close win against the Hurricanes tonight. The checking line forward scored a goal, got in a fight and drew penalty against Carolina.
The Panthers ended the Predators’ six game winning streak (and they didn’t even need Tomas Vokoun to do it), as Scott Clemmensen made 27 out of 29 saves to help Florida win. David Booth scored the game-winner while Rostislav Olesz tied things up for the Panthers.
Instead of getting their fifth in a row, the Leafs gave up five goals to the Coyotes on Thursday. This bumps Phoenix up to fourth in the Western Conference, as the team is now on a three game winning streak of their own. It was founded upon a great third period in which Phoenix took a 1-0 lead and built it to 5-1.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)