Jan 13, 2011, 11:53 PM EST
For a recap of the Rangers’ 1-0 win over the Canucks – including Wojtek Wolski‘s first goal with the team – click here. Let’s look at tonight’s other games that ended at a reasonable hour; we’ll summarize the Edmonton-San Jose and St. Louis-Los Angeles games later on.
Both the East and West’s top teams lost tonight, although the Flyers’ defeat was very different from the Canucks’. Philadelphia carried a 3-2 lead into the third period, but Boston outscored them 5-2 in a wild final frame to win the game. The Bruins have a four point lead over the Canadiens in the Northeast, while Philly remains one point ahead of Pittsburgh in the Atlantic.
It wasn’t necessarily pretty, but the Senators finally won for the first time after going without a victory in six straight games while Robin Lehner earned a win in his first NHL start. They nearly fumbled a 6-2 lead, but Ottawa was able to earn a win thanks to a team effort.
He didn’t get a Gordie Howe hat trick, but Cody McCormick still helped the Sabres earn a close win against the Hurricanes tonight. The checking line forward scored a goal, got in a fight and drew penalty against Carolina.
The Panthers ended the Predators’ six game winning streak (and they didn’t even need Tomas Vokoun to do it), as Scott Clemmensen made 27 out of 29 saves to help Florida win. David Booth scored the game-winner while Rostislav Olesz tied things up for the Panthers.
Instead of getting their fifth in a row, the Leafs gave up five goals to the Coyotes on Thursday. This bumps Phoenix up to fourth in the Western Conference, as the team is now on a three game winning streak of their own. It was founded upon a great third period in which Phoenix took a 1-0 lead and built it to 5-1.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 31
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)