Jan 13, 2011, 11:53 PM EST
For a recap of the Rangers’ 1-0 win over the Canucks – including Wojtek Wolski‘s first goal with the team – click here. Let’s look at tonight’s other games that ended at a reasonable hour; we’ll summarize the Edmonton-San Jose and St. Louis-Los Angeles games later on.
Both the East and West’s top teams lost tonight, although the Flyers’ defeat was very different from the Canucks’. Philadelphia carried a 3-2 lead into the third period, but Boston outscored them 5-2 in a wild final frame to win the game. The Bruins have a four point lead over the Canadiens in the Northeast, while Philly remains one point ahead of Pittsburgh in the Atlantic.
It wasn’t necessarily pretty, but the Senators finally won for the first time after going without a victory in six straight games while Robin Lehner earned a win in his first NHL start. They nearly fumbled a 6-2 lead, but Ottawa was able to earn a win thanks to a team effort.
He didn’t get a Gordie Howe hat trick, but Cody McCormick still helped the Sabres earn a close win against the Hurricanes tonight. The checking line forward scored a goal, got in a fight and drew penalty against Carolina.
The Panthers ended the Predators’ six game winning streak (and they didn’t even need Tomas Vokoun to do it), as Scott Clemmensen made 27 out of 29 saves to help Florida win. David Booth scored the game-winner while Rostislav Olesz tied things up for the Panthers.
Instead of getting their fifth in a row, the Leafs gave up five goals to the Coyotes on Thursday. This bumps Phoenix up to fourth in the Western Conference, as the team is now on a three game winning streak of their own. It was founded upon a great third period in which Phoenix took a 1-0 lead and built it to 5-1.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 33
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)