Jan 13, 2011, 11:53 PM EST
For a recap of the Rangers’ 1-0 win over the Canucks – including Wojtek Wolski‘s first goal with the team – click here. Let’s look at tonight’s other games that ended at a reasonable hour; we’ll summarize the Edmonton-San Jose and St. Louis-Los Angeles games later on.
Both the East and West’s top teams lost tonight, although the Flyers’ defeat was very different from the Canucks’. Philadelphia carried a 3-2 lead into the third period, but Boston outscored them 5-2 in a wild final frame to win the game. The Bruins have a four point lead over the Canadiens in the Northeast, while Philly remains one point ahead of Pittsburgh in the Atlantic.
It wasn’t necessarily pretty, but the Senators finally won for the first time after going without a victory in six straight games while Robin Lehner earned a win in his first NHL start. They nearly fumbled a 6-2 lead, but Ottawa was able to earn a win thanks to a team effort.
He didn’t get a Gordie Howe hat trick, but Cody McCormick still helped the Sabres earn a close win against the Hurricanes tonight. The checking line forward scored a goal, got in a fight and drew penalty against Carolina.
The Panthers ended the Predators’ six game winning streak (and they didn’t even need Tomas Vokoun to do it), as Scott Clemmensen made 27 out of 29 saves to help Florida win. David Booth scored the game-winner while Rostislav Olesz tied things up for the Panthers.
Instead of getting their fifth in a row, the Leafs gave up five goals to the Coyotes on Thursday. This bumps Phoenix up to fourth in the Western Conference, as the team is now on a three game winning streak of their own. It was founded upon a great third period in which Phoenix took a 1-0 lead and built it to 5-1.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)