Jan 13, 2011, 11:53 PM EDT
For a recap of the Rangers’ 1-0 win over the Canucks – including Wojtek Wolski‘s first goal with the team – click here. Let’s look at tonight’s other games that ended at a reasonable hour; we’ll summarize the Edmonton-San Jose and St. Louis-Los Angeles games later on.
Both the East and West’s top teams lost tonight, although the Flyers’ defeat was very different from the Canucks’. Philadelphia carried a 3-2 lead into the third period, but Boston outscored them 5-2 in a wild final frame to win the game. The Bruins have a four point lead over the Canadiens in the Northeast, while Philly remains one point ahead of Pittsburgh in the Atlantic.
It wasn’t necessarily pretty, but the Senators finally won for the first time after going without a victory in six straight games while Robin Lehner earned a win in his first NHL start. They nearly fumbled a 6-2 lead, but Ottawa was able to earn a win thanks to a team effort.
He didn’t get a Gordie Howe hat trick, but Cody McCormick still helped the Sabres earn a close win against the Hurricanes tonight. The checking line forward scored a goal, got in a fight and drew penalty against Carolina.
The Panthers ended the Predators’ six game winning streak (and they didn’t even need Tomas Vokoun to do it), as Scott Clemmensen made 27 out of 29 saves to help Florida win. David Booth scored the game-winner while Rostislav Olesz tied things up for the Panthers.
Instead of getting their fifth in a row, the Leafs gave up five goals to the Coyotes on Thursday. This bumps Phoenix up to fourth in the Western Conference, as the team is now on a three game winning streak of their own. It was founded upon a great third period in which Phoenix took a 1-0 lead and built it to 5-1.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)