Jan 13, 2011, 10:42 PM EDT
The book on Wojtek Wolski – at least according to some of his critics – is that he’s a player who can be very effective until he gets comfortable. Looking at last season’s results, it’s hard to argue; he went from 47 points in 62 games with Colorado to 18 points in 18 games with Phoenix.
Who knows if those numbers are indicative of his true attitude toward hockey or mere coincidence, but Wolski seems like he’s invigorated by another trade at the moment. The hot-and-cold winger scored his first goal as a member of the New York Rangers tonight, which happened to be the game’s only goal.
Henrik Lundqvist was probably the real star of the show, though, as he earned a 31-save shutout against possibly the best team in the league. Cory Schneider had 34 saves in the loss.
This ends Vancouver’s 17-game points streak (14-0-3), although the Canucks still find themselves atop the Western Conference and NHL with 62 standings points. The Ranger remain third in the Atlantic and sixth in the East with 55 points, but they are only three points behind Pittsburgh and four behind Philadelphia in their division.
This game had its fair share of controversy, as it appears that Canucks pest Alex Burrows might have caught All-Star Rangers defenseman Marc Staal below the belt as the two tussled in front of Lundqvist.
Staal and the Rangers might have gotten the last laugh with a 1-0 win, though. Check out video of Wolski’s game winner below.
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 8
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 9
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 40
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)