Jan 13, 2011, 10:42 PM EDT
The book on Wojtek Wolski – at least according to some of his critics – is that he’s a player who can be very effective until he gets comfortable. Looking at last season’s results, it’s hard to argue; he went from 47 points in 62 games with Colorado to 18 points in 18 games with Phoenix.
Who knows if those numbers are indicative of his true attitude toward hockey or mere coincidence, but Wolski seems like he’s invigorated by another trade at the moment. The hot-and-cold winger scored his first goal as a member of the New York Rangers tonight, which happened to be the game’s only goal.
Henrik Lundqvist was probably the real star of the show, though, as he earned a 31-save shutout against possibly the best team in the league. Cory Schneider had 34 saves in the loss.
This ends Vancouver’s 17-game points streak (14-0-3), although the Canucks still find themselves atop the Western Conference and NHL with 62 standings points. The Ranger remain third in the Atlantic and sixth in the East with 55 points, but they are only three points behind Pittsburgh and four behind Philadelphia in their division.
This game had its fair share of controversy, as it appears that Canucks pest Alex Burrows might have caught All-Star Rangers defenseman Marc Staal below the belt as the two tussled in front of Lundqvist.
Staal and the Rangers might have gotten the last laugh with a 1-0 win, though. Check out video of Wolski’s game winner below.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)