Jan 13, 2011, 10:42 PM EDT
The book on Wojtek Wolski – at least according to some of his critics – is that he’s a player who can be very effective until he gets comfortable. Looking at last season’s results, it’s hard to argue; he went from 47 points in 62 games with Colorado to 18 points in 18 games with Phoenix.
Who knows if those numbers are indicative of his true attitude toward hockey or mere coincidence, but Wolski seems like he’s invigorated by another trade at the moment. The hot-and-cold winger scored his first goal as a member of the New York Rangers tonight, which happened to be the game’s only goal.
Henrik Lundqvist was probably the real star of the show, though, as he earned a 31-save shutout against possibly the best team in the league. Cory Schneider had 34 saves in the loss.
This ends Vancouver’s 17-game points streak (14-0-3), although the Canucks still find themselves atop the Western Conference and NHL with 62 standings points. The Ranger remain third in the Atlantic and sixth in the East with 55 points, but they are only three points behind Pittsburgh and four behind Philadelphia in their division.
This game had its fair share of controversy, as it appears that Canucks pest Alex Burrows might have caught All-Star Rangers defenseman Marc Staal below the belt as the two tussled in front of Lundqvist.
Staal and the Rangers might have gotten the last laugh with a 1-0 win, though. Check out video of Wolski’s game winner below.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)