Jan 10, 2011, 5:31 PM EDT
Various sources (including TSN’s Darren Dreger) report that the Phoenix Coyotes have traded forward Wojtek Wolski to the New York Rangers in exchange for defenseman Michal Rozsival. It seems like it is a straight-up deal without any other players or draft picks involved, but we’ll pass along additional information if it comes through.
Coyotes GM Don Maloney and Rangers GM Glen Sather have made a handful of deals over the years, including a deal that sent Petr Prucha to the desert, so it should come as no surprise that the two teams made a deal.
The deal itself, however, is a big win for the Rangers and more than a bit bewildering for the Coyotes’ perspective. The Rangers receive $1.2 million in salary cap savings in the exchange, as both Wolski ($3.8 million) and Rozsival ($5 million) will see their contracts expire after the 2011-12 season. Not only that, but New York get a promising – if some might say, wounded, after two trades in two seasons – forward to boot.
Let’s not forget the fact that Wolski is a replacement (if not an upgrade) for injured forward Alex Frolov.
Don’t get me wrong, Wolski really has been struggling this season (six goals and 10 assists for 16 points with a -6). In fact, Rozsival didn’t score much less this season, with three goals and 12 assists for 15 points and a +3 in 10-11. But Wolski trumps Rozsival in the all-important upside category, not to mention the fact that he produced a higher peak: he scored 65 points with the Avs and Coyotes last season.
This trade plus his great move to clear up cap space by getting rid of Olli Jokinen ultimately begs the question: is Sather turning into a wise trader? I’m not sure I’m comfortable living in that world.
So again, if you ask me, the Rangers won big in this trade. But what do you think?
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 0
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 34
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 15
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (59)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)