Jan 9, 2011, 7:43 PM EDT
What happened to Alexander Frolov? This question isn’t exclusive to the injury he suffered on Saturday, but instead focused on the fact that the New York Rangers and former Los Angeles Kings forward’s career has been steadily going downhill for years.
The Canadian Press reports that Frolov will miss the rest of the 2010-11 season because of season-ending surgery on a torn ACL suffered during Saturday’s game against the St. Louis Blues. Frolov hurt his right knee in that game.
One has to wonder what the future holds for a player who seemed like at least a minor star-in-the-making at one point when he was skating with the Kings. By the end of Frolov’s six NHL season 08-09, he already had two 30+ goal campaigns and three more 20+ goal outputs. Yet his point totals have dropped each year since his career-high of 71 in the 06-07 campaign; he only had seven goals and nine assists for 16 points in 43 games this season. That’s the kind of pace that he was on in his 31-point rookie season in 02-03, his previous career low.
Frolov won’t get a chance to turn things around this season because of that surgery. Considering the trouble he faced finding a job in free agency last summer, it’s not crazy to wonder if his NHL career is in jeopardy.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)