Jan 9, 2011, 7:43 PM EST
What happened to Alexander Frolov? This question isn’t exclusive to the injury he suffered on Saturday, but instead focused on the fact that the New York Rangers and former Los Angeles Kings forward’s career has been steadily going downhill for years.
The Canadian Press reports that Frolov will miss the rest of the 2010-11 season because of season-ending surgery on a torn ACL suffered during Saturday’s game against the St. Louis Blues. Frolov hurt his right knee in that game.
One has to wonder what the future holds for a player who seemed like at least a minor star-in-the-making at one point when he was skating with the Kings. By the end of Frolov’s six NHL season 08-09, he already had two 30+ goal campaigns and three more 20+ goal outputs. Yet his point totals have dropped each year since his career-high of 71 in the 06-07 campaign; he only had seven goals and nine assists for 16 points in 43 games this season. That’s the kind of pace that he was on in his 31-point rookie season in 02-03, his previous career low.
Frolov won’t get a chance to turn things around this season because of that surgery. Considering the trouble he faced finding a job in free agency last summer, it’s not crazy to wonder if his NHL career is in jeopardy.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)