Jan 8, 2011, 9:54 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings came back from a two goal deficit to upend the Calgary Flames with a shootout victory last night, but it may have come at the cost of one of its mid-level defenseman.
In a check that’s been called a blindside hit to downright “disgraceful and unfortunate,” Flames forward Tom Kostopoulos nailed Red Wings defenseman Brad Stuart one of nowhere and apparently gave him a broken jaw.
Much like Atlanta Thrashers enforcer Ben Eager’s indefensible sucker punch on Toronto Maple Leafs forward Colby Armstrong (which also happened Friday night), it’s hard to argue with the cries to suspend Kostopoulos. The hit was totally unnecessary, the puck was nowhere near Stuart and it left quite the impact on the defenseman.
Now, that’s just our opinion; what the NHL actually decides to do vs. how we think the league should discipline people is two different things. We’ll keep you up to date whether the league does nothing, just fines Kostopoulos or suspends and fines him.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (43)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)