Jan 8, 2011, 9:54 AM EST
The Detroit Red Wings came back from a two goal deficit to upend the Calgary Flames with a shootout victory last night, but it may have come at the cost of one of its mid-level defenseman.
In a check that’s been called a blindside hit to downright “disgraceful and unfortunate,” Flames forward Tom Kostopoulos nailed Red Wings defenseman Brad Stuart one of nowhere and apparently gave him a broken jaw.
Much like Atlanta Thrashers enforcer Ben Eager’s indefensible sucker punch on Toronto Maple Leafs forward Colby Armstrong (which also happened Friday night), it’s hard to argue with the cries to suspend Kostopoulos. The hit was totally unnecessary, the puck was nowhere near Stuart and it left quite the impact on the defenseman.
Now, that’s just our opinion; what the NHL actually decides to do vs. how we think the league should discipline people is two different things. We’ll keep you up to date whether the league does nothing, just fines Kostopoulos or suspends and fines him.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)