Jan 8, 2011, 9:54 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings came back from a two goal deficit to upend the Calgary Flames with a shootout victory last night, but it may have come at the cost of one of its mid-level defenseman.
In a check that’s been called a blindside hit to downright “disgraceful and unfortunate,” Flames forward Tom Kostopoulos nailed Red Wings defenseman Brad Stuart one of nowhere and apparently gave him a broken jaw.
Much like Atlanta Thrashers enforcer Ben Eager’s indefensible sucker punch on Toronto Maple Leafs forward Colby Armstrong (which also happened Friday night), it’s hard to argue with the cries to suspend Kostopoulos. The hit was totally unnecessary, the puck was nowhere near Stuart and it left quite the impact on the defenseman.
Now, that’s just our opinion; what the NHL actually decides to do vs. how we think the league should discipline people is two different things. We’ll keep you up to date whether the league does nothing, just fines Kostopoulos or suspends and fines him.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 2
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)