Jan 8, 2011, 9:54 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings came back from a two goal deficit to upend the Calgary Flames with a shootout victory last night, but it may have come at the cost of one of its mid-level defenseman.
In a check that’s been called a blindside hit to downright “disgraceful and unfortunate,” Flames forward Tom Kostopoulos nailed Red Wings defenseman Brad Stuart one of nowhere and apparently gave him a broken jaw.
Much like Atlanta Thrashers enforcer Ben Eager’s indefensible sucker punch on Toronto Maple Leafs forward Colby Armstrong (which also happened Friday night), it’s hard to argue with the cries to suspend Kostopoulos. The hit was totally unnecessary, the puck was nowhere near Stuart and it left quite the impact on the defenseman.
Now, that’s just our opinion; what the NHL actually decides to do vs. how we think the league should discipline people is two different things. We’ll keep you up to date whether the league does nothing, just fines Kostopoulos or suspends and fines him.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 2
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 32
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 143
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 28
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (145)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)