Jan 8, 2011, 1:45 AM EDT
Check out the Thrashers’ ugly loss to the Maple Leafs (and Ben Eager’s ugly sucker punch on Colby Armstrong) by clicking here.
OK, now here are summaries of the night’s six other games.
Apparently the Hurricanes rallied back from two or three goal deficits in three of their last five games against the Panthers this season. It’s not exactly the kind of stat that rolls off your tongue, but it shows that Carolina is pretty resilient (or often in need of wake-up calls, depending on how you look at it).
Jeff Skinner had two goals and one assist to help the Canes win this one.
Once again, Mats “Norwegian Hobbit Wizard” Zuccarello came up big for the Rangers, this time around in the shootout. The short forward was the different in a game that featured great goaltending from winning goalie Henrik Lundqvist (28 saves) and the losing goalie Kari Lehtonen (29 saves).
The Blackhawks keep scraping together wins here and there despite injuries while the Senators fail to persevere (0-2-2 in their last four games). Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews ultimately were the difference makers in the shootout.
The Red Wings came back from a 4-2 deficit to send the game into overtime and then Todd Bertuzzi scored the only shootout goal to help Detroit steal a win from Calgary in this game. Brian Rafalski scored two goals for the Red Wings while Curtis “Glengarry” Glencross scored two goals and one assist for the Flames. After showing some life after the Darryl Sutter firing, Calgary’s now on a three game losing streak.
All of a sudden, the Ducks are now ranked in fifth place. Not such a sudden occurrence: the Blue Jackets are still pretty awful. Teemu Selanne and Bobby Ryan each scored two goals while Jonas Hiller earned a 27-save shutout.
Ryan Kesler scored the second hat trick of his career (and in the last 30 days or so) while Daniel Sedin scored two goals and one assist while Henrik Sedin had three helpers in the Canucks’ dominant beating of the Oilers. Alex Edler scored the other Vancouver goal while Ales Hemsky provided Edmonton’s only tally.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)