Jan 8, 2011, 1:45 AM EDT
Check out the Thrashers’ ugly loss to the Maple Leafs (and Ben Eager’s ugly sucker punch on Colby Armstrong) by clicking here.
OK, now here are summaries of the night’s six other games.
Apparently the Hurricanes rallied back from two or three goal deficits in three of their last five games against the Panthers this season. It’s not exactly the kind of stat that rolls off your tongue, but it shows that Carolina is pretty resilient (or often in need of wake-up calls, depending on how you look at it).
Jeff Skinner had two goals and one assist to help the Canes win this one.
Once again, Mats “Norwegian Hobbit Wizard” Zuccarello came up big for the Rangers, this time around in the shootout. The short forward was the different in a game that featured great goaltending from winning goalie Henrik Lundqvist (28 saves) and the losing goalie Kari Lehtonen (29 saves).
The Blackhawks keep scraping together wins here and there despite injuries while the Senators fail to persevere (0-2-2 in their last four games). Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews ultimately were the difference makers in the shootout.
The Red Wings came back from a 4-2 deficit to send the game into overtime and then Todd Bertuzzi scored the only shootout goal to help Detroit steal a win from Calgary in this game. Brian Rafalski scored two goals for the Red Wings while Curtis “Glengarry” Glencross scored two goals and one assist for the Flames. After showing some life after the Darryl Sutter firing, Calgary’s now on a three game losing streak.
All of a sudden, the Ducks are now ranked in fifth place. Not such a sudden occurrence: the Blue Jackets are still pretty awful. Teemu Selanne and Bobby Ryan each scored two goals while Jonas Hiller earned a 27-save shutout.
Ryan Kesler scored the second hat trick of his career (and in the last 30 days or so) while Daniel Sedin scored two goals and one assist while Henrik Sedin had three helpers in the Canucks’ dominant beating of the Oilers. Alex Edler scored the other Vancouver goal while Ales Hemsky provided Edmonton’s only tally.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 50
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 19
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 20
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 101
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead