Dec 24, 2010, 1:54 PM EDT
Last night we saw Buffalo’s Derek Roy leave last night’s game with a leg injury and the prognosis didn’t appear to be encouraging. Today, the Sabres announced that Roy will undergo surgery to repair a torn quad tendon and put him on the shelf for 4-6 months.
This is a crushing blow for the Sabres and their offense. Roy has been their most consistent scorer the last two seasons and their top scorer this year by a wide margin (10 points more than Thomas Vanek). Roy has also done his share of maturing on the ice as well and has become a leader in the locker room and on the ice for Buffalo.
With Roy out of the lineup, Tim Connolly‘s return from nose surgery can’t come soon enough. Without Roy, the Sabres lack that top line centerman and Connolly is the next closest person they’ve got that resembles one. Connolly hasn’t been a top level kind of producer for the Sabres in a few seasons.
As for what the Sabres will do to replace Roy in the lineup, I’d expect to see Luke Adam get a chance to seize more playing time. Adam was the top scorer for Buffalo’s AHL team in Portland until he started riding the shuttle between Buffalo and Portland as a call-up. That said, Roy’s production will be sorely missed for the wildly inconsistent Buffalo offense and Roy was the one player who brought it on a regular basis. A bleak season for the Sabres just got a bit darker today.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)