Dec 24, 2010, 1:54 PM EDT
Last night we saw Buffalo’s Derek Roy leave last night’s game with a leg injury and the prognosis didn’t appear to be encouraging. Today, the Sabres announced that Roy will undergo surgery to repair a torn quad tendon and put him on the shelf for 4-6 months.
This is a crushing blow for the Sabres and their offense. Roy has been their most consistent scorer the last two seasons and their top scorer this year by a wide margin (10 points more than Thomas Vanek). Roy has also done his share of maturing on the ice as well and has become a leader in the locker room and on the ice for Buffalo.
With Roy out of the lineup, Tim Connolly‘s return from nose surgery can’t come soon enough. Without Roy, the Sabres lack that top line centerman and Connolly is the next closest person they’ve got that resembles one. Connolly hasn’t been a top level kind of producer for the Sabres in a few seasons.
As for what the Sabres will do to replace Roy in the lineup, I’d expect to see Luke Adam get a chance to seize more playing time. Adam was the top scorer for Buffalo’s AHL team in Portland until he started riding the shuttle between Buffalo and Portland as a call-up. That said, Roy’s production will be sorely missed for the wildly inconsistent Buffalo offense and Roy was the one player who brought it on a regular basis. A bleak season for the Sabres just got a bit darker today.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)