Dec 24, 2010, 1:54 PM EST
Last night we saw Buffalo’s Derek Roy leave last night’s game with a leg injury and the prognosis didn’t appear to be encouraging. Today, the Sabres announced that Roy will undergo surgery to repair a torn quad tendon and put him on the shelf for 4-6 months.
This is a crushing blow for the Sabres and their offense. Roy has been their most consistent scorer the last two seasons and their top scorer this year by a wide margin (10 points more than Thomas Vanek). Roy has also done his share of maturing on the ice as well and has become a leader in the locker room and on the ice for Buffalo.
With Roy out of the lineup, Tim Connolly‘s return from nose surgery can’t come soon enough. Without Roy, the Sabres lack that top line centerman and Connolly is the next closest person they’ve got that resembles one. Connolly hasn’t been a top level kind of producer for the Sabres in a few seasons.
As for what the Sabres will do to replace Roy in the lineup, I’d expect to see Luke Adam get a chance to seize more playing time. Adam was the top scorer for Buffalo’s AHL team in Portland until he started riding the shuttle between Buffalo and Portland as a call-up. That said, Roy’s production will be sorely missed for the wildly inconsistent Buffalo offense and Roy was the one player who brought it on a regular basis. A bleak season for the Sabres just got a bit darker today.
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 0
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 2
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 6
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 101
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (101)