Dec 24, 2010, 1:54 PM EDT
Last night we saw Buffalo’s Derek Roy leave last night’s game with a leg injury and the prognosis didn’t appear to be encouraging. Today, the Sabres announced that Roy will undergo surgery to repair a torn quad tendon and put him on the shelf for 4-6 months.
This is a crushing blow for the Sabres and their offense. Roy has been their most consistent scorer the last two seasons and their top scorer this year by a wide margin (10 points more than Thomas Vanek). Roy has also done his share of maturing on the ice as well and has become a leader in the locker room and on the ice for Buffalo.
With Roy out of the lineup, Tim Connolly‘s return from nose surgery can’t come soon enough. Without Roy, the Sabres lack that top line centerman and Connolly is the next closest person they’ve got that resembles one. Connolly hasn’t been a top level kind of producer for the Sabres in a few seasons.
As for what the Sabres will do to replace Roy in the lineup, I’d expect to see Luke Adam get a chance to seize more playing time. Adam was the top scorer for Buffalo’s AHL team in Portland until he started riding the shuttle between Buffalo and Portland as a call-up. That said, Roy’s production will be sorely missed for the wildly inconsistent Buffalo offense and Roy was the one player who brought it on a regular basis. A bleak season for the Sabres just got a bit darker today.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)