Dec 24, 2010, 1:54 PM EDT
Last night we saw Buffalo’s Derek Roy leave last night’s game with a leg injury and the prognosis didn’t appear to be encouraging. Today, the Sabres announced that Roy will undergo surgery to repair a torn quad tendon and put him on the shelf for 4-6 months.
This is a crushing blow for the Sabres and their offense. Roy has been their most consistent scorer the last two seasons and their top scorer this year by a wide margin (10 points more than Thomas Vanek). Roy has also done his share of maturing on the ice as well and has become a leader in the locker room and on the ice for Buffalo.
With Roy out of the lineup, Tim Connolly‘s return from nose surgery can’t come soon enough. Without Roy, the Sabres lack that top line centerman and Connolly is the next closest person they’ve got that resembles one. Connolly hasn’t been a top level kind of producer for the Sabres in a few seasons.
As for what the Sabres will do to replace Roy in the lineup, I’d expect to see Luke Adam get a chance to seize more playing time. Adam was the top scorer for Buffalo’s AHL team in Portland until he started riding the shuttle between Buffalo and Portland as a call-up. That said, Roy’s production will be sorely missed for the wildly inconsistent Buffalo offense and Roy was the one player who brought it on a regular basis. A bleak season for the Sabres just got a bit darker today.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)