Dec 22, 2010, 1:34 PM EDT
The waffles made a furious comeback on Monday night in Toronto for the Leafs 6-3 loss to the Maple Leafs. If you’ve forgotten, waffles were served to the Leafs nearly 10 days ago during another downer of a Leafs game in Toronto. An anonymous fan stepped up to claim responsibility for throwing them saying the team needed to wake up and have their breakfast and vowed to strike again.
This time it came as play was going on and Phil Kessel was nearly served breakfast directly as he skated up the right wing side. This time around, the folks at Air Canada Centre captured the tosser of delicious breakfast foods, a 31 year-old named Joseph Robb, and threw him out of the game and banned him from future Maple Leafs games. Robb was also arrested by Toronto police and faces mischief charges. If Robb were to challenge the charges he’d have a hard time fighting this photographic evidence from the Toronto Star.
While many Leafs players are miffed and even upset about the act of protest, Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman speaks up for us in saying that the Leafs should embrace the waffle phenomenon the way Panthers fans did in the mid-90s with rubber rats and Detroit has with the octopus.
Things aren’t going so hot for the Leafs and the fans need a little something to have fun here so why not rally around the power of everyone’s favorite Belgian breakfast treat? After all, it beats sitting around feeling sad about losing out on another high draft pick in 2011 thanks to the Phil Kessel trade and being mired in another mediocre and inconsistent season.
Of course we’re not asking that Leafs fans litter the ice with waffles and create an obscene disturbance, we’re just saying that vilifying Robb and other potential waffle-tossers is the wrong way to handle an already ugly situation in Toronto. The last thing the Leafs should be doing is making a martyr out of a frustrated fan and out of every dark situation comes something great that can rally everyone. For the Leafs, a heaping stack of Eggos might be just what the doctor ordered to remedy the downtrodden Leafs and their fans.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)