Dec 10, 2010, 12:31 PM EST
We know that things in Toronto aren’t going so hot. The team is struggling, they can’t score goals, and they’re losing more often than not. Last night the Leafs dropped yet another lethargic game, this one to the Philadelphia Flyers 4-1. It was Toronto’s second loss in a row and that streak comes on the heels of winning two in row over Boston and Washington. The Leafs are getting their wins in dramatic style against those two and then tossing up back-to-back stinkers against the Penguins and Flyers.
Leafs fans are mad at the inconsistent efforts, especially at home, and they’re mad.
Waffle-throwing mad? Why yes, they are absolutely that mad.
When the final horn sounded at the conclusion of the game between the Maple Leafs and Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday night at the Air Canada Centre, a pile of waffles was thrown on to the ice, with one of them hitting the stick of Leafs defenceman Francois Beauchemin.
“Who brings waffles to the game?” a bemused Chris Pronger, the Flyers defenceman, said afterward.
Beauchemin brushed off the breakfast food attack.
“I didn’t see what it was,” Beauchemin said. “Something came to my stick. The way we’re playing, it is frustrating for everybody.”
Frustrating for sure, especially for those looking for a well balanced breakfast. What we want to know is why Pronger didn’t try to steal the waffles. They’re far more delicious than pucks, especially when covered in maple syrup and butter. We can chalk this up as one of the strangest things we’ve seen tossed on the ice during or after a game. Detroit has the octopus, Florida used to have black rubber rats, and the Coyotes had flying rubber snakes during last year’s playoffs.
But waffles? Perhaps it’s a symbolic message to the Leafs ownership to make a decision on firing head coach Ron Wilson. It’s either that or just the actions of a random and completely frustrated and bizarre fan.
Nah, that’s way too logical.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 2
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 2
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)