Dec 10, 2010, 12:31 PM EST
We know that things in Toronto aren’t going so hot. The team is struggling, they can’t score goals, and they’re losing more often than not. Last night the Leafs dropped yet another lethargic game, this one to the Philadelphia Flyers 4-1. It was Toronto’s second loss in a row and that streak comes on the heels of winning two in row over Boston and Washington. The Leafs are getting their wins in dramatic style against those two and then tossing up back-to-back stinkers against the Penguins and Flyers.
Leafs fans are mad at the inconsistent efforts, especially at home, and they’re mad.
Waffle-throwing mad? Why yes, they are absolutely that mad.
When the final horn sounded at the conclusion of the game between the Maple Leafs and Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday night at the Air Canada Centre, a pile of waffles was thrown on to the ice, with one of them hitting the stick of Leafs defenceman Francois Beauchemin.
“Who brings waffles to the game?” a bemused Chris Pronger, the Flyers defenceman, said afterward.
Beauchemin brushed off the breakfast food attack.
“I didn’t see what it was,” Beauchemin said. “Something came to my stick. The way we’re playing, it is frustrating for everybody.”
Frustrating for sure, especially for those looking for a well balanced breakfast. What we want to know is why Pronger didn’t try to steal the waffles. They’re far more delicious than pucks, especially when covered in maple syrup and butter. We can chalk this up as one of the strangest things we’ve seen tossed on the ice during or after a game. Detroit has the octopus, Florida used to have black rubber rats, and the Coyotes had flying rubber snakes during last year’s playoffs.
But waffles? Perhaps it’s a symbolic message to the Leafs ownership to make a decision on firing head coach Ron Wilson. It’s either that or just the actions of a random and completely frustrated and bizarre fan.
Nah, that’s way too logical.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)