Dec 10, 2010, 12:31 PM EDT
We know that things in Toronto aren’t going so hot. The team is struggling, they can’t score goals, and they’re losing more often than not. Last night the Leafs dropped yet another lethargic game, this one to the Philadelphia Flyers 4-1. It was Toronto’s second loss in a row and that streak comes on the heels of winning two in row over Boston and Washington. The Leafs are getting their wins in dramatic style against those two and then tossing up back-to-back stinkers against the Penguins and Flyers.
Leafs fans are mad at the inconsistent efforts, especially at home, and they’re mad.
Waffle-throwing mad? Why yes, they are absolutely that mad.
When the final horn sounded at the conclusion of the game between the Maple Leafs and Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday night at the Air Canada Centre, a pile of waffles was thrown on to the ice, with one of them hitting the stick of Leafs defenceman Francois Beauchemin.
“Who brings waffles to the game?” a bemused Chris Pronger, the Flyers defenceman, said afterward.
Beauchemin brushed off the breakfast food attack.
“I didn’t see what it was,” Beauchemin said. “Something came to my stick. The way we’re playing, it is frustrating for everybody.”
Frustrating for sure, especially for those looking for a well balanced breakfast. What we want to know is why Pronger didn’t try to steal the waffles. They’re far more delicious than pucks, especially when covered in maple syrup and butter. We can chalk this up as one of the strangest things we’ve seen tossed on the ice during or after a game. Detroit has the octopus, Florida used to have black rubber rats, and the Coyotes had flying rubber snakes during last year’s playoffs.
But waffles? Perhaps it’s a symbolic message to the Leafs ownership to make a decision on firing head coach Ron Wilson. It’s either that or just the actions of a random and completely frustrated and bizarre fan.
Nah, that’s way too logical.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)