Dec 10, 2010, 12:31 PM EDT
We know that things in Toronto aren’t going so hot. The team is struggling, they can’t score goals, and they’re losing more often than not. Last night the Leafs dropped yet another lethargic game, this one to the Philadelphia Flyers 4-1. It was Toronto’s second loss in a row and that streak comes on the heels of winning two in row over Boston and Washington. The Leafs are getting their wins in dramatic style against those two and then tossing up back-to-back stinkers against the Penguins and Flyers.
Leafs fans are mad at the inconsistent efforts, especially at home, and they’re mad.
Waffle-throwing mad? Why yes, they are absolutely that mad.
When the final horn sounded at the conclusion of the game between the Maple Leafs and Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday night at the Air Canada Centre, a pile of waffles was thrown on to the ice, with one of them hitting the stick of Leafs defenceman Francois Beauchemin.
“Who brings waffles to the game?” a bemused Chris Pronger, the Flyers defenceman, said afterward.
Beauchemin brushed off the breakfast food attack.
“I didn’t see what it was,” Beauchemin said. “Something came to my stick. The way we’re playing, it is frustrating for everybody.”
Frustrating for sure, especially for those looking for a well balanced breakfast. What we want to know is why Pronger didn’t try to steal the waffles. They’re far more delicious than pucks, especially when covered in maple syrup and butter. We can chalk this up as one of the strangest things we’ve seen tossed on the ice during or after a game. Detroit has the octopus, Florida used to have black rubber rats, and the Coyotes had flying rubber snakes during last year’s playoffs.
But waffles? Perhaps it’s a symbolic message to the Leafs ownership to make a decision on firing head coach Ron Wilson. It’s either that or just the actions of a random and completely frustrated and bizarre fan.
Nah, that’s way too logical.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 3
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)