Dec 10, 2010, 12:31 PM EDT
We know that things in Toronto aren’t going so hot. The team is struggling, they can’t score goals, and they’re losing more often than not. Last night the Leafs dropped yet another lethargic game, this one to the Philadelphia Flyers 4-1. It was Toronto’s second loss in a row and that streak comes on the heels of winning two in row over Boston and Washington. The Leafs are getting their wins in dramatic style against those two and then tossing up back-to-back stinkers against the Penguins and Flyers.
Leafs fans are mad at the inconsistent efforts, especially at home, and they’re mad.
Waffle-throwing mad? Why yes, they are absolutely that mad.
When the final horn sounded at the conclusion of the game between the Maple Leafs and Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday night at the Air Canada Centre, a pile of waffles was thrown on to the ice, with one of them hitting the stick of Leafs defenceman Francois Beauchemin.
“Who brings waffles to the game?” a bemused Chris Pronger, the Flyers defenceman, said afterward.
Beauchemin brushed off the breakfast food attack.
“I didn’t see what it was,” Beauchemin said. “Something came to my stick. The way we’re playing, it is frustrating for everybody.”
Frustrating for sure, especially for those looking for a well balanced breakfast. What we want to know is why Pronger didn’t try to steal the waffles. They’re far more delicious than pucks, especially when covered in maple syrup and butter. We can chalk this up as one of the strangest things we’ve seen tossed on the ice during or after a game. Detroit has the octopus, Florida used to have black rubber rats, and the Coyotes had flying rubber snakes during last year’s playoffs.
But waffles? Perhaps it’s a symbolic message to the Leafs ownership to make a decision on firing head coach Ron Wilson. It’s either that or just the actions of a random and completely frustrated and bizarre fan.
Nah, that’s way too logical.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)