Dec 4, 2010, 11:50 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins’ 7-2 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets (and Sidney Crosby’s two goals) was pretty impressive in itself, but it’s even more outstanding considering the fact that Evgeni Malkin needed to sit out the game.
Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma and a team official provided a little more information about Malkin’s knee injury, which sounds like it probably isn’t anything major.
“It’s not a structural problem with anything,” coach Dan Bylsma said after the Penguins’ 7-2 victory. “He’s just been banged up.”
Team spokeswoman Jen Bullano said Malkin was day to day.
That’s good news, for the most part, even though knee injuries can be a little sneaky at times. If nothing else, Malkin could probably use a little rest.
There’s no shame in trailing Sidney Crosby in the team’s scoring race, but Malkin is also behind defenseman Kris Letang as well. As amazing as this season has been for Letang (he has 26 points in only 28 games in 2010-11 so far), that’s a sign that Malkin might not be himself.
Perhaps healing up for a while will help the talented Russian get his game back together.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)