Dec 4, 2010, 11:50 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins’ 7-2 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets (and Sidney Crosby’s two goals) was pretty impressive in itself, but it’s even more outstanding considering the fact that Evgeni Malkin needed to sit out the game.
Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma and a team official provided a little more information about Malkin’s knee injury, which sounds like it probably isn’t anything major.
“It’s not a structural problem with anything,” coach Dan Bylsma said after the Penguins’ 7-2 victory. “He’s just been banged up.”
Team spokeswoman Jen Bullano said Malkin was day to day.
That’s good news, for the most part, even though knee injuries can be a little sneaky at times. If nothing else, Malkin could probably use a little rest.
There’s no shame in trailing Sidney Crosby in the team’s scoring race, but Malkin is also behind defenseman Kris Letang as well. As amazing as this season has been for Letang (he has 26 points in only 28 games in 2010-11 so far), that’s a sign that Malkin might not be himself.
Perhaps healing up for a while will help the talented Russian get his game back together.
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 8
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)