Dec 4, 2010, 11:50 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins’ 7-2 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets (and Sidney Crosby’s two goals) was pretty impressive in itself, but it’s even more outstanding considering the fact that Evgeni Malkin needed to sit out the game.
Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma and a team official provided a little more information about Malkin’s knee injury, which sounds like it probably isn’t anything major.
“It’s not a structural problem with anything,” coach Dan Bylsma said after the Penguins’ 7-2 victory. “He’s just been banged up.”
Team spokeswoman Jen Bullano said Malkin was day to day.
That’s good news, for the most part, even though knee injuries can be a little sneaky at times. If nothing else, Malkin could probably use a little rest.
There’s no shame in trailing Sidney Crosby in the team’s scoring race, but Malkin is also behind defenseman Kris Letang as well. As amazing as this season has been for Letang (he has 26 points in only 28 games in 2010-11 so far), that’s a sign that Malkin might not be himself.
Perhaps healing up for a while will help the talented Russian get his game back together.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 0
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 33
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 23
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 48
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)