Dec 4, 2010, 11:50 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins’ 7-2 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets (and Sidney Crosby’s two goals) was pretty impressive in itself, but it’s even more outstanding considering the fact that Evgeni Malkin needed to sit out the game.
Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma and a team official provided a little more information about Malkin’s knee injury, which sounds like it probably isn’t anything major.
“It’s not a structural problem with anything,” coach Dan Bylsma said after the Penguins’ 7-2 victory. “He’s just been banged up.”
Team spokeswoman Jen Bullano said Malkin was day to day.
That’s good news, for the most part, even though knee injuries can be a little sneaky at times. If nothing else, Malkin could probably use a little rest.
There’s no shame in trailing Sidney Crosby in the team’s scoring race, but Malkin is also behind defenseman Kris Letang as well. As amazing as this season has been for Letang (he has 26 points in only 28 games in 2010-11 so far), that’s a sign that Malkin might not be himself.
Perhaps healing up for a while will help the talented Russian get his game back together.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 19
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 9
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 40
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)