Dec 4, 2010, 11:50 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins’ 7-2 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets (and Sidney Crosby’s two goals) was pretty impressive in itself, but it’s even more outstanding considering the fact that Evgeni Malkin needed to sit out the game.
Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma and a team official provided a little more information about Malkin’s knee injury, which sounds like it probably isn’t anything major.
“It’s not a structural problem with anything,” coach Dan Bylsma said after the Penguins’ 7-2 victory. “He’s just been banged up.”
Team spokeswoman Jen Bullano said Malkin was day to day.
That’s good news, for the most part, even though knee injuries can be a little sneaky at times. If nothing else, Malkin could probably use a little rest.
There’s no shame in trailing Sidney Crosby in the team’s scoring race, but Malkin is also behind defenseman Kris Letang as well. As amazing as this season has been for Letang (he has 26 points in only 28 games in 2010-11 so far), that’s a sign that Malkin might not be himself.
Perhaps healing up for a while will help the talented Russian get his game back together.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 11
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)