Dec 4, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
News tonight out of Columbus that Penguins star Evgeni Malkin will be out of the lineup tonight against the Blue Jackets with knee trouble. Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review breaks the news.
Malkin, who practiced this morning at Nationwide Arena, continues to be bothered by a sore knee. He has worn a brace on that knee for about a month, and that injury is believed to the one re-aggravated on Thursday night during a home win against Atlanta.
Malkin has scored eight goals and is third among all Penguins with 22 points. He has not recorded a point in three games and has scored only one goal since netting a hat trick on Nov. 13 at Atlanta.
Malkin hasn’t looked like his usual impressive self out there lately for Pittsburgh and while Sidney Crosby is doing the bulk of the heavy lifting offensively for the Pens, not having Malkin going hurts the depth on the team especially with Jordan Staal still out of the lineup. Malkin has eight goals and 14 assists this year for the Pens, good for third on the team in points. Everyone is trailing Crosby by quite a bit in that race, but that’s to be expected when a guy is having a dominant season.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)