Dec 4, 2010, 5:00 PM EST
News tonight out of Columbus that Penguins star Evgeni Malkin will be out of the lineup tonight against the Blue Jackets with knee trouble. Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review breaks the news.
Malkin, who practiced this morning at Nationwide Arena, continues to be bothered by a sore knee. He has worn a brace on that knee for about a month, and that injury is believed to the one re-aggravated on Thursday night during a home win against Atlanta.
Malkin has scored eight goals and is third among all Penguins with 22 points. He has not recorded a point in three games and has scored only one goal since netting a hat trick on Nov. 13 at Atlanta.
Malkin hasn’t looked like his usual impressive self out there lately for Pittsburgh and while Sidney Crosby is doing the bulk of the heavy lifting offensively for the Pens, not having Malkin going hurts the depth on the team especially with Jordan Staal still out of the lineup. Malkin has eight goals and 14 assists this year for the Pens, good for third on the team in points. Everyone is trailing Crosby by quite a bit in that race, but that’s to be expected when a guy is having a dominant season.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32