Dec 4, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
News tonight out of Columbus that Penguins star Evgeni Malkin will be out of the lineup tonight against the Blue Jackets with knee trouble. Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review breaks the news.
Malkin, who practiced this morning at Nationwide Arena, continues to be bothered by a sore knee. He has worn a brace on that knee for about a month, and that injury is believed to the one re-aggravated on Thursday night during a home win against Atlanta.
Malkin has scored eight goals and is third among all Penguins with 22 points. He has not recorded a point in three games and has scored only one goal since netting a hat trick on Nov. 13 at Atlanta.
Malkin hasn’t looked like his usual impressive self out there lately for Pittsburgh and while Sidney Crosby is doing the bulk of the heavy lifting offensively for the Pens, not having Malkin going hurts the depth on the team especially with Jordan Staal still out of the lineup. Malkin has eight goals and 14 assists this year for the Pens, good for third on the team in points. Everyone is trailing Crosby by quite a bit in that race, but that’s to be expected when a guy is having a dominant season.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 64
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 29
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15