Dec 4, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
News tonight out of Columbus that Penguins star Evgeni Malkin will be out of the lineup tonight against the Blue Jackets with knee trouble. Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review breaks the news.
Malkin, who practiced this morning at Nationwide Arena, continues to be bothered by a sore knee. He has worn a brace on that knee for about a month, and that injury is believed to the one re-aggravated on Thursday night during a home win against Atlanta.
Malkin has scored eight goals and is third among all Penguins with 22 points. He has not recorded a point in three games and has scored only one goal since netting a hat trick on Nov. 13 at Atlanta.
Malkin hasn’t looked like his usual impressive self out there lately for Pittsburgh and while Sidney Crosby is doing the bulk of the heavy lifting offensively for the Pens, not having Malkin going hurts the depth on the team especially with Jordan Staal still out of the lineup. Malkin has eight goals and 14 assists this year for the Pens, good for third on the team in points. Everyone is trailing Crosby by quite a bit in that race, but that’s to be expected when a guy is having a dominant season.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)