Nov 27, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
As I mentioned earlier this morning, Friday’s Goal of the Night was a really tough call but I decided to award it to Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn. There were plenty of other good candidates, but the closest runner up (in my mind, at least) was probably Minnesota Wild forward Martin Havlat.
Havlat is actually putting together a quietly strong season with the Wild, even though many probably were only aware that his agent Alan Walsh made some complaints about how he was being used early on in 2010-11.
After scoring two goals and one assist in last night’s dominant performance against the Nashville Predators, Havlat now has 20 points (five goals and 15 assists) in 21 games. The book on Havlat in his days with the Ottawa Senators and Chicago Blackhawks was that he was a talented player who couldn’t stay on the ice because of injuries (sort of a poor man’s Marian Gaborik), but lately it seemed like he just was losing it with Minnesota.
Instead, Havlat is a big reason they might be able to claw their way into the playoffs. He made a lot of plays on Friday, but this goal was the highlight of them all.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 84
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (84)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)