Nov 27, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
As I mentioned earlier this morning, Friday’s Goal of the Night was a really tough call but I decided to award it to Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn. There were plenty of other good candidates, but the closest runner up (in my mind, at least) was probably Minnesota Wild forward Martin Havlat.
Havlat is actually putting together a quietly strong season with the Wild, even though many probably were only aware that his agent Alan Walsh made some complaints about how he was being used early on in 2010-11.
After scoring two goals and one assist in last night’s dominant performance against the Nashville Predators, Havlat now has 20 points (five goals and 15 assists) in 21 games. The book on Havlat in his days with the Ottawa Senators and Chicago Blackhawks was that he was a talented player who couldn’t stay on the ice because of injuries (sort of a poor man’s Marian Gaborik), but lately it seemed like he just was losing it with Minnesota.
Instead, Havlat is a big reason they might be able to claw their way into the playoffs. He made a lot of plays on Friday, but this goal was the highlight of them all.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 28
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 51
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 41
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)