Nov 27, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
As I mentioned earlier this morning, Friday’s Goal of the Night was a really tough call but I decided to award it to Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn. There were plenty of other good candidates, but the closest runner up (in my mind, at least) was probably Minnesota Wild forward Martin Havlat.
Havlat is actually putting together a quietly strong season with the Wild, even though many probably were only aware that his agent Alan Walsh made some complaints about how he was being used early on in 2010-11.
After scoring two goals and one assist in last night’s dominant performance against the Nashville Predators, Havlat now has 20 points (five goals and 15 assists) in 21 games. The book on Havlat in his days with the Ottawa Senators and Chicago Blackhawks was that he was a talented player who couldn’t stay on the ice because of injuries (sort of a poor man’s Marian Gaborik), but lately it seemed like he just was losing it with Minnesota.
Instead, Havlat is a big reason they might be able to claw their way into the playoffs. He made a lot of plays on Friday, but this goal was the highlight of them all.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)