Nov 27, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
As I mentioned earlier this morning, Friday’s Goal of the Night was a really tough call but I decided to award it to Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn. There were plenty of other good candidates, but the closest runner up (in my mind, at least) was probably Minnesota Wild forward Martin Havlat.
Havlat is actually putting together a quietly strong season with the Wild, even though many probably were only aware that his agent Alan Walsh made some complaints about how he was being used early on in 2010-11.
After scoring two goals and one assist in last night’s dominant performance against the Nashville Predators, Havlat now has 20 points (five goals and 15 assists) in 21 games. The book on Havlat in his days with the Ottawa Senators and Chicago Blackhawks was that he was a talented player who couldn’t stay on the ice because of injuries (sort of a poor man’s Marian Gaborik), but lately it seemed like he just was losing it with Minnesota.
Instead, Havlat is a big reason they might be able to claw their way into the playoffs. He made a lot of plays on Friday, but this goal was the highlight of them all.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 19
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 10
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 25
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11