Nov 15, 2010, 5:01 PM EDT
We told you a bit on Saturday that Lightning captain Vincent Lecavalier would be having surgery on his hand and would miss a few weeks of action. Today, the Lightning reported that Lecavalier’s surgery went well and that he would miss about 4-5 weeks of action. What’s ailing Vinny is a broken knuckle on his right hand. If you think that sounds painful you’d be right. Imagine having to play hockey and try to hang on to your stick while dealing with a broken knuckle. That’s not my idea of a good time.
The injury comes at a tough time for the Lightning. They’re in the midst of a skid that’s seen them lose six of their last seven games with a record of 1-5-1 over that span. The Lightning’s biggest problem during this skid is goal scoring. Over those seven games they’ve scored just 13 goals while allowing 24 goals. The goaltending has been hot and cold, but in their last three games (all losses) they haven’t even been close losing by three or more goals.
This now becomes a stern test for Steven Stamkos to see if he can handle being the absolute main focus of the team’s offense for the next month. Stamkos has done just fine in usurping the lead role at center from Lecavalier, but now he won’t have him as someone else to draw the attention of other team’s top defenders. It’ll be Stamkos, St. Louis or bust in Tampa when it comes to scoring.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)