Nov 15, 2010, 5:01 PM EDT
We told you a bit on Saturday that Lightning captain Vincent Lecavalier would be having surgery on his hand and would miss a few weeks of action. Today, the Lightning reported that Lecavalier’s surgery went well and that he would miss about 4-5 weeks of action. What’s ailing Vinny is a broken knuckle on his right hand. If you think that sounds painful you’d be right. Imagine having to play hockey and try to hang on to your stick while dealing with a broken knuckle. That’s not my idea of a good time.
The injury comes at a tough time for the Lightning. They’re in the midst of a skid that’s seen them lose six of their last seven games with a record of 1-5-1 over that span. The Lightning’s biggest problem during this skid is goal scoring. Over those seven games they’ve scored just 13 goals while allowing 24 goals. The goaltending has been hot and cold, but in their last three games (all losses) they haven’t even been close losing by three or more goals.
This now becomes a stern test for Steven Stamkos to see if he can handle being the absolute main focus of the team’s offense for the next month. Stamkos has done just fine in usurping the lead role at center from Lecavalier, but now he won’t have him as someone else to draw the attention of other team’s top defenders. It’ll be Stamkos, St. Louis or bust in Tampa when it comes to scoring.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 0
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 4
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 22
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)